EmperorZurg

Apr 20, 2023
Sacramento, CA
Hi, everybody! First post here, so I apologize if I miss anything.

I have a 20k gallon in-ground plaster pool (in Sacramento, CA) that I am trying to revive myself after some renters mistreated it. I am (hopefully) nearing the end of a SLAM process that has been going on since April 21. My CYA is 50, so I have been adding liquid chlorine minimum twice a day to keep FC at 20 ppm. At the beginning of the process, the FC was dropping to 1-2 overnight. It is now dropping to 15-16 overnight. The pool is much clearer, but not anywhere near stopping SLAM soon. I have two main questions:

1. I was brushing and vacuuming as often as I could (every day or every other day). I now have a Dolphin robot that I run two to three times a day, cleaning it out after every use. Is the robot a replacement for brushing and vacuuming, or is that something that I need to be doing on my own?
2. After cleaning out the filter cartridges one night, the gasket on the filter housing did not seal properly and I lost a lot of water. The level of the pool was just below the skimmer. Obviously this is not good for the pump, so I turned it off, filled the pool back up to normal levels, turned the robot on, and went to work. The robot pulled a lot of debris that run. The next day, the water level of my pool was way higher than before, now above the skimmer opening. What could be the cause of water levels rising without any rain or water addition?

I tried searching the forum before posting, but to no avail. Thank you all in advance for all of the wonderful help you provide!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
1 - Using the robot is good to assist, but you may still need to brush or vacuum areas that are hard to reach or not cleaned to your satisfaction. Just something to watch.
2 - Do you have an auto-fill installed?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.