Higher RPMs required for Scuppers

BPet

Sep 8, 2015
Wellington
One of our 3 Bobe Scuppers stopped working. I thought it was because the filter was due for a cleaning and so I cleaned the Pentair 200 Filter, which was pretty dirty - although the filter pressure only 16 vs the normal of 12. Didn't fix the issue, so I replaced the filter and that did not fix the issue. Skimmer basket and pump basket are clean. No water bubbles in the pump basket area. Unscrewed the motor and checked the impeller and it was clean, except for a very few stray hairs. When I restarted the system, I noticed that the Scupper works fine, but one of the other Scuppers is not working - so the issue shifted to a different Scupper.

If the Solar system is activated, all three Scuppers will sometimes work, of course the Solar cranks the RPMs up. If I turn off the solar, I can get all 3 Scuppers to work if I crank up the RPMs. (I also noticed that the pool may not seem to be skimming the leaves as well as it had previously)

As the pump/motor ages (it is 2 years old), is it normal for a higher RPM to be required to get the same water flow?

Thanks for your input :)

If I had a partial blockage in the pipe going from the skimmer to the pump or from the pipe going from the drain in the deep end to the pump, then when I turn the valve at the pump to isolate the suction from either the skimmer or the drain, would that identify a clogged pipe? I tried it and the scuppers still do not work using either the skimmer suction or the deep end drain suction alone...so I guess I don't have a clog in the suction side? I put my hand by the returns in the pool and it seems that they are not as strong as previously.

Postling this in case anyone has the same issue. One of the initial steps to isolating the issue is to be sure that too many water features are not running, and thereby decreasing the volume of water to the Scuppers. Obvious, and I looked at the pool and figured...yep, nothing else is running. What I finally figured out is that the Actuator for the Spa was stuck in the 'open' position...since the blower was not on - I could not see the normal bubble action in the Spa - but water was being diverted into the spa returns. So, I just have to fix that actuator and I'm sure flow to the scuppers will be restored.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.