jamieNnick

Jun 18, 2023
Waverly NE
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Drained down to about 6 inches of old winter water in pool (nasty green, smelly stuff), refilled with garden hose and zero chemicals added. Water is now "clear" but cloudy.
Current test results using the Taylor K-2006 kit:
TA - 320 ppm
pH - 7.4
CH - 250 ppm
CYA - <30 ppm
FC & CC - nothing added, did not test

The PoolMath calculators won't give me an amount of what to use to lower the TA. Per the Taylor book, I am coming up with 6 gal of muriatic acid to drop the TA 200 ppm. Is this really what I should do?

Thanks!

Just checking since you have such a high TA number, did you follow the procedure below when adding R-0009? If not I'd retest.

Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wiping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.

Reactions: jamieNnick
I am coming up with 6 gal of muriatic acid to drop the TA 200 ppm. Is this really what I should do?
Absolutely not.

Don't worry about the TA. It will pull your pH up, once it hits 7.8 drop it to 7.2 and it will lower your TA as well. Just do that and as your TA drops it will pull up your pH slower and slower until you reach a point where your pH remains stable. TA is probably the least concerning level unless it is zero, since yours is far from that it's not something to fret over.

Now leaving your water sit with no chlorine is something to fret over. You need to get your CYA up to 30 ppm (it's always zero with a fresh fill) and start the SLAM Process. I'm guessing it's taken a few days to fill 17,000 gallons with a garden hose and you're already seeing cloudiness, so algae is already trying to take hold. Jump on the SLAM and it should finish quickly. Don't shortcut it, it's so easy to see clear water and declare success, but keep at it until all completion criteria are met. That will make sure everything is cleared from your water and you are starting the season off on the right foot.

Reactions: jamieNnick
Absolutely not.

Don't worry about the TA. It will pull your pH up, once it hits 7.8 drop it to 7.2 and it will lower your TA as well. Just do that and as your TA drops it will pull up your pH slower and slower until you reach a point where your pH remains stable. TA is probably the least concerning level unless it is zero, since yours is far from that it's not something to fret over.

Now leaving your water sit with no chlorine is something to fret over. You need to get your CYA up to 30 ppm (it's always zero with a fresh fill) and start the SLAM Process. I'm guessing it's taken a few days to fill 17,000 gallons with a garden hose and you're already seeing cloudiness, so algae is already trying to take hold. Jump on the SLAM and it should finish quickly. Don't shortcut it, it's so easy to see clear water and declare success, but keep at it until all completion criteria are met. That will make sure everything is cleared from your water and you are starting the season off on the right foot.
THANK YOU!!!! This is totally why I decided to dive into the TFP community (pun intended)!

Absolutely not.

All criteria passed as of this morning at 5:30am...oh things we do for our pools! :)

FYI, the TA is down to 230ppm with a pH of 8, so I will be doing a muriatic acid dump this evening to even things out. Gloves and rubber boots are ready to go!

Thank you for your help through this!

Reactions: SumOfOneInteger
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.