High TA, now cloudy water... suggestions?

JB: Yes, I didn't adjust PH during slam, I added the PH Down when the FC was down to 4. Odd that the TA didn't go down?

Techguy: Was your penny profile pic taken from above 50+ inches of water?

Sax: I am worried about burning out this motor too, as it says in the instructions to never run it more than 12 hours straight! :(
Did you have to pay shipping to send your burnt one back? I suppose I could alternate between the sand, and the old 1000gph pump with the Unicel cartridge... but what a pain.
You guys think maybe I should let it cool off an hour or so every 12 hours?

Smykowski: It seems you were right on the money. My overnight was barely noticeable before, but the algae must have went and got its buddies. Cuz now the OCLT drops FC from 20 to 18. And my CC's that used to be 0 or 0.5 are now a solid 1.

Indeed, I took a step backwards. DOH!:brickwall:

Yes, my penny photo was taken with 50 inches of water between me and the penny.

The whole photo

IMG_5344.JPG

Wow... nice!

So i think I found some algae hiding in the underside of my over-the-wall Intex skimmer basket, either that or mold.
I soaked it in bleach for a couple hours & wiped & hosed it off. That should be enough to kill that, yes? No? maybe?

Tonight my OCLT loss was even worse... lost 5 FC.

On the bright side, from trolling these forums I took an idea from Frogabog and decided to put my old pump to good use!
I hooked up my 1-micron bag to that, and used zip tyes to hold the hoses over the rail of the pool.
So now I'm filtering with the 2100gph sand filter AND the 1000gph cartridge filter.
Plus, I can turn off the sand filter and let it rest so hopefully I don't burn out the motor.

Will report when i get home.

I always feel I have to pop in when I see a mention of worries about running a pump.
Mind you, I have a different pump, and apparently it's a miracle pump because, it's been running 24/7 for almost 2 years now.
Yes, you read that correctly. It's been going since at least July of 2013. I'd say it's only been off for less than 5 days total over that time.

I don't have a timer, I'm afraid I'll forget to plug it back in every day if I try some sort of schedule and it would also seem that I just like having a larger than necessary electric bill.

In any case, maybe I should be a spokesperson for this pump because a lot of people seem to worry about theirs and my energizer bunny pump just keeps going and going and going and....

Thanks guys, hopefully I got one of the Energizer Bunny pumps and not a fickle lemon.

The 2 pumps at the same time is definitely helping! Makes sense after all right? It's an extra 50% filtering plus the 1-micron bag which is still turning very gray.
I can see the bottom of the pool quite easy now, making out the details of the seams.
It's not clear still, but it's the clearest I've seen it since this ordeal began.

FC dropped from 20 to 15 from 1am to to 5pm. <0.5 CC
I wonder how much my FC would drop on a normal day with 45 CYA and no algae for my size pool and no swimmers?

Is there is a chart anywhere that shows that kind of data?

I'd say run that sucker as long as you need to. Intex shipped me a new one and let me keep the old one. Shipping only took a couple of days. Make sure and call it in if/when it starts whining not when it completely dies. I plan on rebuilding the old one (replacing bearings) when I get motivated enough. :)

THanks for the replies guys.

Well I can give the pump a little breather when I get home and still let the other one go. Maybe eventually I'll alternate them a bit, or hopefully just get on a timer cycle once this is cleared up.
Which it seems to be getting very close to being!
Could really see the bottom quite clearly today.
It's only when I look at an angle across the water that I can detect the murkyness.
The FC still lost about 5 overnight and half the morning.
I should be able to do a better OCLT test on the weekend when I don't have work.

Tested my tap water out of curiosity. Let the sink run for a bit to clear the line.

PH: 8
TA: 150
CH: 275

I''ve got about 4" of water to replenish in the pool, so that'll also help lower my TA & CH a tiny bit I hope...
I bought muriatic acid to lower the PH. (after slam & FC get back to normal)

Very grateful for this site.

Hi folks... I *think* i'm finally done!

Last nights OCLT dropped from 18 to17. And that includes about a half hour or so of indirect sunlight as it wasn't quite dark out yet when i measured.
My CC's have constantly been <0.5... often looks like 0.
And the best part... the pool is sparkly clean finally!
It's been clean a day or 2 now actually, but I was waiting for the OCLT to confirm.

Questions:

1. Does it make a difference if Sand Filter is on or off during OCLT? (mine was on)
- I read for SWG is should be off, but cannot find mention of non-salt filter.

2. Should I continue SLAM just to be safe until the OCLT is actually 0?

3. Am I safe to put the cover back on once/if i let the FC drop back to normal levels?

So to compare:
Before:
DSC08184.jpg

Now:
DSC08203.jpg

My wife is shocked that I got it this clean. You can see a little dirt or something on the bottom of the pool actually. Not sure if that's dust/dirt settling from after yesterdays vacuuming, or if it's dead algae pooling up in the little crevices? I do have a lot of trees & brush & dirt & bushes all around my backyard and i think this is just the daily amount my pool catches that the filter doesnt pick up. Any ideas?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great! :party:

1. The pump should have been running 24/7, including during the OCLT, so the sand filter should have been on.
2. Nope, you did not drop more than 1ppm, so you pass
3. You can put the cover on any time. I might suggest now so the higher FC levels can kill anything that might be on the cover.

There is always some dirt and dust entering the pool or it could be a little dead algae. Just vacuum it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.