High TA for fill water for replastered pool

lhykv3

Jul 5, 2023
Cerritos, CA
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm getting my pool re-plastered with StoneScapes this week, so I thought I should look into what chemicals I might need for the Orenda startup I saw in the wiki. After testing the water I'm going to be using to fill my pool, I found that it has a pH of 7.8, CH of 250, and TA of 200, giving it an LSI of +0.56. What should I do?

Hi and welcome! Well done on getting a good test kit right off the bat!

For your new plaster you make sure to not stop the flow of water once it starts. If the water flow stops a ring could form around your new plaster.

As for the Orenda startup you will find many threads about it by doing a search. Here at TFP we lean towards the Bircarb Start as seen here:
The Bicarb Start – Pool Help It uses products you can find in your local stores and you can do it your self.

Thank you for the response! Initially, when looking at the start-ups listed, I skipped over the Bicarb Start-Up as I didn't want to buy the "special equipment" that was mentioned here. Now, after going over it, it turns out that my water is already basically there. I only need maybe 10lb of bicarbonate to hit 500, but even then, the forum post from onBalance says that just a total of 400 is good! Do you think I would be fine just filling with my tap water and two quarts of sequestrant to prevent any staining, or should I worry about anything else?

Reactions: kimkats
Quote from the Plaster Start up Wiki "It is actually necessary, to achieve a smooth and dense surface, to have about a +0.5 CSI during the first 30 days."
So your water is perfect. Just be ready to maintain that level.

Sequestrant at first fill up is typical. I doubt your water has any iron in it.

Reactions: lhykv3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.