Jul 27, 2021
Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,

First thanks TFP members for all your precious comments/suggestions. I was running my pool only with those "awful" pucks for the last few years. Now I've found TFP and I made the switch to liquid chlorine instead. I do the daily checks for FC and PH and during the weekends I do the full check FC,CC,CYA and TA. Of course, I vaccuum and add water if need be. My tap water is very hard and is also considered alkaline. I alway use tap water to fill or top my pool up. My current TA is 200. pH this morning was about 7.6-7.7. CYA was 40 three weeks ago but we got a lot of hot and sunny days followed by some heavy rain days. CYA is now around 30. I'm assuming CYA is now lower because of rain water and/or tap water I added. I add on average 1.2L of liquid chlorine per day to keep a FC of about 5. Is that quantity normal ? My CYA was 40 so according to the FC/CYA chart my FC level should between 5-7 with a minimum of 3. Now my CYA has dropped to 30, FC level should be between 4-6 with a minimum of 2.
Here are my questions:
1) Should I try to bring my TA down from 200 to then recommended level of 50-90 ? That means adding muriatic acid so my pH goes from 7.6-7.7 to 7.2. In my case, I would need to add 0.6 liters of muriatic acid. That being said TA would only be lowered by 5.8 according to the Pool Math app. Going from TA 200 -> 100 would require me to do that process 17-18 times to reach an "acceptable" level. However, I would need to aerate my pool to bring my pH up to 7.6 before adding more acid. Does that make sense to you guys ?
2) Should I try to bring up my CYA from 30 to 40 or even 50 so my daily FC loss is less than the average 2ppm ? I have a solar cover on most of the time unless it is super hot.

Thanks again,

René

Not sure of your climactic conditions but I would move CYA to 50 PPM if you have highs in the 90's this summer.

Leave your TA alone........it'll slowly come down on it's own. If your pH is rising faster than you want (doesn't seem like it) then you can lower TA using the method found in pool school.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.