High pitched whining pump sound

JBSurfer

Dec 30, 2019
Wilmington, NC
I have a semi inground pool with a cartridge filter and a variable speed pump. Looks like an Aqua pump. It is making a very high pitched whining or squealing sound. Any ideas where to look first? Possibly something caught in the in valve to the pump?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 5
Good morning! I would recommend posting a pic or two of the pump/motor label(s) so we can see more details. Age of course is a big factor. A high pitched sound is sometimes an indication that the motor bearings may be starting to fail, but more info can help.

Reactions: setsailsoon
For anyone searching later: I took it apart. the bottom two bolts will take about an hour to remove and return. Pulled apart and impeller would not turn. eventually turning both sides by hand was able to get it moving some. Turned on and used a screwdriver to get it started and finally took off. Knocked breaker off one time, so might be the capacitor. Found it. that is extremely easy to get to if needed and looks like it is only $12 on amazon if that ends up truly being the problem in a few days. I might buy one to replace it anyway.