My #s are as follows.
14364 gallon outside vinyl pool.
Ph: 7.2
Fc: 4
Combined chlorine 2.5
Alkalinity: 90
Cya & borates: 30
Salt: 3400

I did not realize until recently that combined chlorine is an important number to track. I just thought as long as your FC is OK then you were OK. But as a result, I bought potassium monopersulfate shock bc shocking with chlorine takes way too long for my FC number to come back down to a swimmable range of 1-3ppm. My question is, does non chlorine shock destroy existing chloramines/combined chlorine, or does it only help prevent new chloramines from forming? After buying non chlorine shock I read online that some people say that I need to use chlorine shock to destroy the existing chloramines and then weekly treat it with non chlorine to prevent future chloramines from forming? Is this information correct?
Also, if I can use non chlorine shock to reduce my current combined chlorine numbers, how much should I use if the bag says to use 1lb bag per 10, 000 gallons?
Thanks

Welcome to TFP! :wave: We don't recommend the use of MPS non-chlorine shocks as they skew (increase) your CC readings and can complicate other chemistry. It does not destroy CCs. See the thread below to learn more. Instead, use liquid chlorine whenever you can. As it stands, it may take a while for your CC level to return to normal.

In addition, an FC of 1-3 ppm is probably much too low based on your current CYA level as referenced on our FC/CYA Levels. Also see our Pool Care Basics for more TFP details and the ABCs of water chemistry and many more TFP recommendations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.