Jul 26, 2017
Louisiana
I seem to always run high on my CL this morning I tested the following,
FC-8.5
CC- .5-1 IT WAS 5:00 AM and dark
PH- 7.8
TA-100
CYA-30-40

The kids were complaining about their eyes burning at lunch time and said the water tasted salty, would bringing up the CYA still be the first plan of action or should I shock the pool?

I seem to always run high on my CL this morning I tested the following,
FC-8.5
CC- .5-1 IT WAS 5:00 AM and dark
PH- 7.8
TA-100
CYA-30-40

The kids were complaining about their eyes burning at lunch time and said the water tasted salty, would bringing up the CYA still be the first plan of action or should I shock the pool?
How are you testing the water? Is there a reason you added extra chlorine? It’s not that high (7 max with 40CYA) is the CYA 30 or 40?

Burning eyes is always
  1. high pH (which you don't have),
  2. CC (which you do have), or
  3. Sun block can be an issue too as they get it on their hands and then run their eyes,
  4. And this is a big one, most pool water irritation in balanced pools is due to people rubbing their eyes when they come up out of the water. It forces the pool water into the conjunctiva where the chlorine will slowly irritate the delicate tissue. When you come up out of the water, you need to teach them to blink their eyes and not touch them. That will clear the water.
  5. Finally, some kids eyes are sensitive to chlorine no matter what you do. My best suggestion is take 'em to Target or Walmart and let 'em pick out a fun pair of swim goggles to have and use only at your pool, that way it’s something special. The goggles will help to keep the water and hands out of there eyes.
Confirm the CC. CC of 1 or greater is a SLAM. Link-->SLAM Process

I would not raise your CYA, as ORP will produce invalid dosing with CYA > about 20-30.

Maintain your FC using this tool...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

Burning eyes is always
  1. high pH (which you don't have),
  2. CC (which you do have), or
  3. Sun block can be an issue too as they get it on their hands and then run their eyes,
  4. And this is a big one, most pool water irritation in balanced pools is due to people rubbing their eyes when they come up out of the water. It forces the pool water into the conjunctiva where the chlorine will slowly irritate the delicate tissue. When you come up out of the water, you need to teach them to blink their eyes and not touch them. That will clear the water.
  5. Finally, some kids eyes are sensitive to chlorine no matter what you do. My best suggestion is take 'em to Target or Walmart and let 'em pick out a fun pair of swim goggles to have and use only at your pool, that way it’s something special. The goggles will help to keep the water and hands out of there eyes.
Confirm the CC. CC of 1 or greater is a SLAM. Link-->SLAM Process

I would not raise your CYA, as ORP will produce invalid dosing with CYA > about 20-30.

Maintain your FC using this tool...Link-->FC/CYA Levels
The ORP reading never really correlated to what my test would come out too. And the rep for the system said I should pay much attention to it, but I know I’ve had to turn the dial almost all the way down.

Do you have manual controls to the ORP dosing system (i.e. you can manually set dosages and override ORP)? If so, I would run it manually, and follow the FC/CYA recommendations.

This way you can increase your CYA and use less liquid chlorine.

Do you have manual controls to the ORP dosing system (i.e. you can manually set dosages and override ORP)? If so, I would run it manually, and follow the FC/CYA recommendations.

This way you can increase your CYA and use less liquid chlorine.
No it is just a dial, I think I’m going to have to recalibrate it, I’m almost at the lowest setting already and 3-4 years ago it would stay at halfway.

Tested again in better light this morning,
FC- 11 chlorine dial stayed at same setting not sure why this went up?
CC < .5
TA- 100
CYA- 30 was definitely 30 or less could almost see dot when tube was full of water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.