High chlorine at opening

Srss7601

May 20, 2020
Perrysburg, OH
Last season opening was the first year we slammed the pool upon opening- and had great success with the entire season. Upon opening the pool this year and removing the winter safety cover found the water almost completely clear-just slight haze with minor sediment. First samples: ch 14 FC .5 ph 7.0 al 80 cya 60.
We slammed the pool to the recommended 24 ch two nights ago. The FC went down to 0.0 the next morning but chlorine has remained at 24( for 2 days and nothing added) water has cleared. Should I be worried or need to do anything? Last year logs show consist ch of 5-6 with 30cya. (End of year 6-8 ch with 40cya). We did place a floating chlorinator in the pool during the early spring- can not believe those would increase cya or ch levels? Should I leave solar cover off and give it a few days? Ph has not been increased since ch is out of balance. Thanks!
21k in ground chlorine sand filter. Liquid chlorine. Taylor k-2006 DPD tester

You have some of your terms mixed up. I believe what you are calling ch is FC. And what you are calling FC is really CC.
The floating chlorinator used trichlor. It added chlorine and CYA to the water. I do not see any issues. You passed an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, so all is good. Just wait for your FC to reach target range and then maintain that.

You have some of your terms mixed up. I believe what you are calling ch is FC. And what you are calling FC is really CC.
The floating chlorinator used trichlor. It added chlorine and CYA to the water. I do not see any issues. You passed an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, so all is good. Just wait for your FC to reach target range and then maintain that.
Thanks!

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.