High calcium hardness after one year in AZ

runriver

Oct 26, 2021
Chandler Az
Hi, First year pool owner in AZ. I've been following all the great advice on this forum, using liquid chlorine, and after one year my calcium hardness is at 600 PPM, the pool math app is telling me to drain and replace 45%. My CSI is at .06. Seems like a massive waste of water to drain and replace is this necessary? Will I be doing a drain and replace every year? Thinking if I'm going to have to drain and refill I might as well switch over to using tablets since I will be be draining and refilling every year due to CH levels. Let me know your thoughts

Thanks from sunny AZ

Many folks in your area and the west do find it useful to exchange water every couple of years or do a reverse osmosis treatment ($$). Many often use softeners for their "top off" water to help limit the calcium build up also. You *can* manage that CH level by balancing it against a low pH level. Keep the pH on the low end, 7.2ish and see if that helps keep your CSI happy.

Maddie :flower:

Hi, First year pool owner in AZ. I've been following all the great advice on this forum, using liquid chlorine, and after one year my calcium hardness is at 600 PPM, the pool math app is telling me to drain and replace 45%. My CSI is at .06. Seems like a massive waste of water to drain and replace is this necessary? Will I be doing a drain and replace every year? Thinking if I'm going to have to drain and refill I might as well switch over to using tablets since I will be be draining and refilling every year due to CH levels. Let me know your thoughts

Thanks from sunny AZ
There's a few of us neighbor lol I just did a partial drain a couple of weeks ago & I'm sure that will just be part of my spring lol I only drained to about the level on one of my benches and while it wasn't a bunch it was enough to make my life a little easier as we swing into summer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.