High alkalinity

May 8, 2023
Plymouth Meeting, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
TFPro test kit. First time using - didn't find it complicated. Heading to pool store to buy some liquid chlorine to have on hand and want to see their results as well. Here are mine, and my plan - thoughts?

FC: 5.5
CC: 0
TC: 5.5
CYA: 40-45

PH: 7.8
TA: 170 (conducted twice, to make sure)
CH: 550

Goal: I want to reduce my TA and PH to avoid PH going past 7.8 in the next few days. TFP says don't adjust TA "just to adjust TA to a target number" unless I have a problem. I feel like my PH is a little all over (strips & pool store history from last year prior to test kit coming - PH high last year was always issue).

Pool Math app: tells me 64oz (half gallon) of muriatic acid (34.5%) will lower my PH to 7.1 and drop my TA by 11 to 159.

Thoughts on continuing to get TA down without tanking PH? Necessary? Monitor by testing and keeping data to see how PH is actually doing?

Notes: no water features to aerate; I do not have screw in jets to "change the direction" of the output - our return jets are two holes. Gunite pool, 22,5000gal, chlorine (no SWG). Very hard water in our area. TFPro test kit. We did just get some rain - but by no means a lot (maybe 1/4" if that).

I built this on a sump pump. 30K pool, I can reduce TA by 10 in 12 hours. Trick is LOTS of VERY TINY bubbles. Reduce pH to 7, bubble until 7.4, repeat. CO2 outgasses at the highest rate at 7-7.4.

Thoughts on continuing to get TA down without tanking PH? Necessary? Monitor by testing and keeping data to see how PH is actually doing?
If you are available to test daily, I would bring the pH down to the low 7s, and test each day. When you hit a pH of 8 (or you could choose to use 7.8), add acid to bring pH down to the low 7s again. As your TA drops, the rate of your pH rise will slow down, until it eventually will stop on its own at 7.8 (but don't go below the recommended minimum TA of 50). Then you'll mostly just need to add acid to compensate for any TA added by your fill water.

That :goodpost:

You have the gold standard of pool water testing until you get into actual laboratory grade equipment costing millions of dollars. There's no reason to let them test your water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.