High Alkalinity

romkell

May 23, 2023
Chihuahua, Mexico
I have a TA of about 180, relatively no CYA. Low TC. I was told that until I got my TA under control that I couldn't work on the other problems. I have a 24,000 gal pool and have added around 6 gal of muratic acid (one gal every 8 hours) and my TA hasn't lowered much. I have lowered my PH now to between 6.2 and 6.8. Why won't my TA go down? Can I work on increasing my CYA or do I have to wait until I get my TA down.
Thank you,
Doug

TA is not significant to sanitation. Chlorine is.
Do not add any more acid until the pH is near 8.
Add 30 ppm worth of CYA using the sock method.
Use liquid chlorine to maintain your FC based on the CYA you are targeting using the FC/CYA Levels

The conditioner that I have just recommends that you mix the granules in warm water and apply directly. Why the difference, convenience, time?
So you dumped into the pool? CYA granules can stain the pool shell if let to sit on it. If dumped into the filter, you cannot clean the filter for at least a week or you will remove CYA that has not dissolved.

No, I didn't or haven't dumped the granules into the pool. Instructions on the container say first dissolve the granules in warm water then dump them in the strainer (slowly) (and don't clean your filter for 72 hours) The question is whether one way is better than other. (the sock method or dissolving the granules in warm water)
I appreciate your comments

The sock method allows the granules to dissolve and disperse. You can test within 24 hours of the product being dissolved. You can mix it (it will not be dissolved) in water and dump in the skimmer. Hopefully it will not plug anything. Do it slowly. If you have a sand or DE filter, do not backwash for at least 7 days. A cartridge filter, you likely will find some of the product in the bottom of the vessel next time you clean the cartridges. Not much, but some.

If only adding small amounts, use a hairnet in the skimmer basket and pour it into the hairnet. Hairnets over the skimmer basket are great to keep stuff from getting to your filter.

The answer is then that the warm water is not likely to dissolve all the granules. Plus slowly pouring in the mixture could be a pain. Sock now sounds like a better solution. Thank you for clearing this up for me.
One last question(2); Did I read somewhere that the conditioner should not be applied while the pool is covered. I cover my pool at night. Is that going to be an issue? Also I do not run my filter at night. Should you remove the sock if the filter is not running?

Did I read somewhere that the conditioner should not be applied while the pool is covered. I cover my pool at night. Is that going to be an issue? Also I do not run my filter at night. Should you remove the sock if the filter is not running?
You can add the CYA when the pool is covered. If it is covered most of the time (during the day) you may not need as high a level of CYA. But if only covered at night, you need the prescribed levels of CYA seen in What Are My Ideal Pool Levels?
If the sock is in the skimmer, you should remove it when the pump is off. If you are hanging it in the pool, you can leave it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.