Hi Y'all from Mississippi

mriddell

Gold Supporter
Apr 30, 2024
Oxford, MS
Hi there. I'm a retired, obviously crazy old man just beginning life with a new pool. My wife has always wanted a pool, and we finally decided to build one at our new home in Oxford, MS. She had a pool in her high school years. I've never experienced pool care or ownership at all. We'll need lots of help! Where do we begin?

Welcome to TFP.

Enjoy reading the Forums about the various types of pools other folks have and their joys of ownership. Once you have any idea of what your wife desires then start your own thread in Under Construction for how to get it.

Read, read, and read some more - everything under “Pool School” and any pertinent threads for chemicals, balancing, testing, equipment. Review the kinds of pools from plaster to vinyl, etc., and all the different equipment and lighting and water features you can utilize. If you know of things ahead of time you can save time or aggravation by building it right from the start. Most people on here would encourage you to put in a SWG from the get-go and certainly if you have the money it’s a very nice convenience. (I myself don’t have one and we may be moving within the next 6 -8 years so will hold off on it, but if we were building new today we would consider one.)

But as for being a good owner of a pool and its maintenance, I can’t stress enough Pool School and every possible link to learn how to maintain it best. I remember I printed out sooooo much info from this forum and organized it into a binder with sections for each topic. It made it easier to quickly find the explanation or instructions for something we had read in one of the threads. We referred to that binder every week for four straight seasons, until we understood and knew it so well we no longer had to. All of that homework and studying paid off. We have had such an easy time taking care of our pool and saved so far over the past 13 years well over $30,000 in maintenance costs and chemicals. Our original liner lasted 17 years before we replaced it this spring, that’s how well TFPC takes care of water.

Be willing to take the necessary time to learn and understand what you need to. It’s only overwhelming at first in learning, but in practice it’s easy peasy and you’ll come to love this forum, being ever so thankful for all who keep it going.

The pool is actually complete. Filled the pool initially about a week ago. Plaster, inground pool. 16X36, calculated volume is 16000 gallons. Began chlorine per builder last night with chlorinator. I plan to use bleach for the most part. pH is over 8, CC now 1.2, TA is 150. Thinking I should correct pH with muriatic acid, then treat with CYA. Current CYA is not detectable. Then recheck chlorine levels. Is it OK to begin at this point?

Reactions: kul
Hey neighbor 👋
When you get a chance fill out your signature as thoroughly as possible as it helps folks help you when a problem arises.
We don’t recommend using pucks for daily chlorination for several reasons listed here
👇
Any questions along the way just ask 😊

Thanks all. Builder began chlorine with tabs and pucks 2 days ago. I understand that will gradually raise the CYA. I do have chlorine and muriatic acid on hand, along with CYA. Pool is clear, looks good. Startup-TEC was used at the time of pool fill. I've read about plaster dust, need for a high CSI.. mine is .30 presently. I haven't seen anything looking like dust. Sweep has been going full time and is empty. I have brushed the pool, though the PB did not indicate a need to brush daily. When should I begin to lower the ph? Should I lower the pH prior to adding chlorine? Also, if lowering the pH with muriatic acid, when should I retest? Sorry! I'm a newbie. Contractor is a great guy, but is limited in providing direction due to language. Seems fine just adding chlorine per the chlorinator at present.

This AM:
FC 1.2
CC .2
PH >8. Took 15-18 drops of R-0005 to drop the pH to a readable range. I over shot. Plaster is 9 days old. When should I begin to correct pH?
TA 150
CH 150
CYA not detectable, assumed 10.

You shouldn’t be using an automatic cleaner for the first few weeks - it can make marks that will be permanent.
Stick with brushing & manually vacuuming.
Waiting 15-30 minutes is sufficient for a retest of ph.
It doesn’t matter which you adjust first fc or ph - just wait a couple minutes between each.
When using liquid chlorine or Muriatic acid pour them slowly (pencil sized stream) infront of a running return- away from the pool wall. Brush the area’s walls & floor.

Startup tec is mainly a sequestrant as it’s marketing claims (actual ingredients are unknown)

Do you know what finish you have? That would help you determine which guide to follow

You shouldn’t be using an automatic cleaner for the first few weeks - it can make marks that will be permanent.

Why no wheeled cleaner for first 30 days?Plaster is sufficiently hard once the pool is full of water. Pool cleaners can be installed and utilized after about two days if there is no plaster dust forming. The reason that tracks develop is usually from plaster dust being "packed down" by the pool cleaner wheels and then not removed by brushing. So it can look like an "indention" (and discolored) but it is not an indention. Brushing afterwards can help prevent the plaster dust from sticking on the plaster.

Reactions: kul and Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why no wheeled cleaner for first 30 days?Plaster is sufficiently hard once the pool is full of water. Pool cleaners can be installed and utilized after about two days if there is no plaster dust forming. The reason that tracks develop is usually from plaster dust being "packed down" by the pool cleaner wheels and then not removed by brushing. So it can look like an "indention" (and discolored) but it is not an indention. Brushing afterwards can help prevent the plaster dust from sticking on the plaster.
In the guide it says 2 weeks so I edited my post after double checking.
I had never seen the “why” explanation just that it could cause marks and many are warned about this. Glad to know the why!

Continued Newbie questions: I'm beginning to cut my pump back, as it has been running high 24/7, and I realize this is not necessary. What would be a good starting schedule? I am using a chlorinator for the time being, but do plan to use chlorine liquid additive or totally in the future. Added chlorine yesterday to FC of 2.0. Adding CYA now... via the sock in front of a jet method. pH has decreased overnight to around 7.0 from 7.6. I assume this is due to the CYA, but not sure. FC good at 3.0. Should I chase the pH or adjust the day after I complete the CYA?

Hotty Toddy back at 'cha! Saw a really good You Tube on the pump I have. I have now programmed it to run at a higher flow (55GPH) for 3 hrs at night, and at 20 GPH through the day. 5 AM to around 7 pm. Gonna try the pool sweep and see if I have enough juice to run it at those settings. Also wondering how those settings will run the spa and heater.