Hi & question re slamming pool

My impression is that the FC should go down significantly during SLAM. I've checked the pool around midday and just now (5:30 pm) and neither time has FC dropped that much. This morning I put it a bit over the shock level - about 26 I think and it is still at shock level now. Is this strange or something to worry about?

It can depend but if it hasn't gone down much this is a good sign. How much exactly did the FC drop between your test at midday and 5.30pm? Precise numbers based on the FC test are what counts!! Have you also got a CC number?

How is the water looking is it looking clearer?

Hi Jezza, actually I'm not sure of the exact number this morning because I tested the water at about 8am and it was 24 (down from 25.5 last night) but I then added some chlorine. I tested it mid-day but I forgot to write the figure down and it was was still 25.5 this afternoon. I will start writing the figures down each time but didn't expect the changes to be this small yet. I didn't check the CC but I will this evening and record it all. The water is still quite green. I should add that I didn't put very much in in the morning because I just wanted to keep it up above the 24 mark (but I wasn't very exact either - it was about 50 grams of dry chlorine). I have now got one the large tubs of liquid chlorine from bunnings.

Yes great idea to write your times and FC numbers down whenever you test as well as record the amount of chlorine you have added. Photos of the pool are always good particularly looking straight down. It is always good to see before and afters. It also helps to see the progress.

Are you brushing the pool daily? That will stir up some stuff that can potentially consume chlorine. Or maybe you are getting close to the end. Is the water clear?

Hi,

I am brushing but I don't think I'm near the end yet - the pool is pretty green. I have attached a photo.

Last night the FC was 23.5 and CC 1, so I added about 180mm of chlorine
This morning FC was 21.5 and CC .5, so I have added 650 mm of chlorine

IMG_0793.jpg

Yep she sure is green so you need to really hit it hard. Better to overpitch your target FC by a few FC say make it 26 then that will hopefully keep it above 24 more times than not. The more times you test and add chlorine the quicker the process will go. You also need to check the pressure on your filter- we say you need to backwash when the pressure goes up by 20-25% above the clean pressure.

Keep us posted!

Re: Hi & question re slamming pool

It is surprising how the water transforms overnight from green to a cloudy white once the bleach over-takes the algae. That's when you really get excited. You'll get it. Hang in there. Stick with the bleach/liquid chlorine exclusively. As long as you know your CYA at the start of all this was 60, then the SLAM/Shock FC value of 24 will work. If you find later that you have any doubt about the CYA reading, or that perhaps it might be higher, then you might need to go to the next FC level of 28. Don't make that jump yet though! I'm just planting that seed so that if in a couple days the water doesn't seem to be responding to the bleach as we would hope, you might want to double-check the CYA one more time just to make sure. Either way, a SLAM is not something that can be rushed. Chemically-speaking, it will work .... with time.

Other than that, you're doing what needs to be done - pump on all the time and sweep/brushing. Hang in there! You've got lots of eyes on your thread to encourage you.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing ...... :)

Thank you all I will keep going. the difficult bit is that i have to go away for 2 nights so I have a neighbour lined up to do it by phone. I will come back with a photo and let you know how it is going when i get back. Fingers crossed it will be fine with me away. Thanks for all the encouragement and advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
He is a good neighbour but he's not going to get a swim yet because I back at home but the pool is still green (I'll attach a photo). A couple of time over the last couple of days the Fc level has got down quite significantly during the middle of the day 13.5 and 17.5, which is a bit lower than I'd like but couldn't be helped, and was corrected back up to the 24+ mark. Last night FC went from 27.5 down to 24.5 with CC .5 this morning. I'm about to vacuum the pool and do a backwash. Is there anything else I should do? Keep going or reconsider the chlorine level (I'm not sure how these things normally run, but it's been about 5 days)? Thanks, Nathan

That's green alright! Well, at least you're back now and can watch everything closely. With some steady, consistence FC monitoring and holding, you should start to see some progress. Be patient though, it could still be a little while. Make sure to review the SLAM page once a day just to refresh your memory on all the little things and it will work for you.

Since you are using the K-2006, you know the trick on saving reagents for FC testing right? It would be a shame to run-out halfway through the SLAM.

I have once earlier this year, at least I think it was copper based. Also in the past I have used a phosphorus reducer sold to me by a pool shop. I actually like the philosophy of not putting anything in that you don't need to, but had a bottle and thought I'd see how it worked - that was around late December. Would this change anything?

Well, maybe. Copper can cause a pool to get a funky green color. Your pics just had me curious.

You definitely have an algae issue, but the tint to the water reminded me of copper also. Are there any pool shops by you that do metal testing? I don't mean to side-track you from your slam...as that is your number one priority now.

You could have it checked if you wanted to, but at this point it won't really change anything.... other than curiosity perhaps. :) If you're in the area and do have the water checked, take two samples - one from your pool and one from your hose (the source). Let them tell you the difference of each. Of course ignore absolutely everything else they have to say since you test your own water and they probably won't agree with TFP methods since it keeps them from making money.

Once you have passed the SLAM, we can readdress the color of the water and give you some options. Generally when there is metal in the water, you have a choice to exchange the water with fresh water or treat the existing with a sequestrant. But I wouldn't worry too much about that yet. One thing at a time. Once you pass the SLAM, this may not even be an issue. We'll see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.