HI, I am new at all this

Salt water has nothing to do with it. But that is another discussion.

Follow your plan. Pretty easy to remove a heater. Some minor PVC work and you are done.

Salt water has nothing to do with it. But that is another discussion.

Follow your plan. Pretty easy to remove a heater. Some minor PVC work and you are done.
Thanks I might try to bypass it I think. I am not the best plumber. For the filter lid would that require come cutting as well? Man this is not a cool problem.

I did not catch an issue with the filter.
Sorry picture is back a few posts like 3 or so about 1/2 a hour, I am trying to figure out how to get the top off to try to clean the sand and make sure there are no chunks of the heater in there. Would I need to cut unions in or is there some trick I am missing?

No trick. You need to cut the lines and install unions. Idiots installed it.
Thanks that is actually reassuring. I think there is a lot of that I am dealing with. I keep feeling like I am an missing something, and no matter what I am doing/spending I am just hitting issue after issue. I would rather the installer be the idiot then me :)

Reactions: mknauss
No trick. You need to cut the lines and install unions. Idiots installed it.
Been frustrated by this stuff all day. I am worried about killing the replacement heater or my liner and what might be in that sand. Any major risk you can think of of adding some ascorbic acid directly to to the filter chamber with it off and blocked from return, mixing it with the sand to try to dissolve and oxidize any iron in there and then flushing it with a hose/ deep cleaning? I worry deep cleaning alone won’t actually clear my sand out of heavy iron particulates without getting them oxidized and in solution. I really don’t want to replace the <year old sand if I can help it, and then depending on how I get this out of solution in fall I don’t want to have to do that again. Sand is also basically impossible to buy right now where I am.

Why do you think iron particles are in your filter? Not sure I would worry about that. When you do a full pool AA treatment, any rust in the filter will be removed through the process.

Why do you think iron particles are in your filter? Not sure I would worry about that. When you do a full pool AA treatment, any rust in the filter will be removed through the process.
I am finding not just stains but pieces of iron in the spa and pool, the only way that can get in the spa through the return from the filter. The scope of this problem is not typical :( that came off a magnet I waved around the spa bottom, after discharging the water to spa only.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your heater is after the filter.
Remember when I said I wasn’t the idiot, yeah that was dumb you are right. It’s been a rough day with a lot in my head. So you think my fears about the filter are unfounded? Don’t worry about that just replace the heater and deal with iron when the leaves fall?

To get those iron pieces to your filter you would have to be vacuuming the pool. Have you been? And likely most would have ended up in your pump basket.

To get those iron pieces to your filter you would have to be vacuuming the pool. Have you been? And likely most would have ended up in your pump basket.
Well before I noticed this issue I was doing a SLAM for some cleanup of algae and a heck of a lot of dead crane fly larva. So I did do a bunch of vacuuming before this. Heavy bigger stuff would get basket-ed but I didn’t really notice any. smaller stuff would make it past I think. Isn’t the impeller in the pump magnetic? Any worry there? I guess that mean I might have some in the filter.

OK -- Hard to say. Eventually you want to replumb. So decide now or this fall. To me, I would want to use the pool and then after your swim season deal with the other issues.

OK -- Hard to say. Eventually you want to replumb. So decide now or this fall. To me, I would want to use the pool and then after your swim season deal with the other issues.
Well I have a few days before the heater is installed, and my water is still 62 ish so w/o the heater it’s cold anyway. I can cut the the top off and flush it and if my unions suck the plumber will be here for the heater anyway. I guess I can make use of this time as long as I don’t make it worse. I haven’t bypassed the heater at this point and the pool is off anyway.

Be sure you get all the supplies you need before you start. Remember the iron is heavier than even the sand. So it might have gone into the sand pack. Then you would have to change the sand to be successful. So if you find any iron in the filter, remember that.

I made some good progress on this tonight. I vacuumed to waste all the stuff that has been settling out to the floor. I cut and bypassed the heater, there is like 4 inches between the heater and the filter so that was tough to work in. I am a crumby plumber, slight leak on one pipe but I have a legit plumber coming in a few days for the heater so my bad job won’t matter. The return pipe from the heater looks like an anti smoking commercial. I am running the pump on low to keep circulating and filtering my water and replaced the water I wasted. I am overflowing from the spa figuring that if there is a chunk in the system somewhere it will end up in the spa floor, and I will be able to tell if the filter is dropping off iron hunks. My salt cell is after the heater which judging by the pipe out of the heater it’s prolly taken some iron hits so that I am gonna check out in the morning. I haven’t cut unions on the filter yet.

I just want to say thanks to you and to poolstored you guys have helped me out a real lot. I know so little about pools it has been a really crazy experience to get tossed in the deep end. Thank you.

Reactions: mknauss
I just want to say thanks to you and to poolstored you guys have helped me out a real lot.
You are welcome. If you found value, you might consider becoming a supporter. We are all volunteers and TFP is a non-profit 503c. Member donations keep the lights on...

Bronze it is for now, wish I could do more I had a mega expensive week with the cover and heater. You guys are doing something awesome here, I actually got a quote to just fill it in last year lol, I reached that level of frustration. I am hopeful that when I get this heater and the iron is resolved enough that it just gets back to staining, I'll be in a happier less troublesome spot. I'll let you know how the rest of this goes when I pop the filter, what a week!

thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.