Heyward voltage issue

I suspect that the GFCI is misplaced in that pump electrical circuit and the voltage leak is coming from before the GFCI so it is not being sensed.

We have not seen the GFCI in the pics.

And I have asked where the switch is that controls the pump circuit. If the switch is before the GFCI then the GFCI will not see leakage from the switch.

Reactions: JamesW
Maybe the person who was sent out was just a helper or apprentice with no license and no real experience.

There are two types of electrical licenses in New Jersey: an electrical journeyman license and an electrical contractor license.

New Jersey offers 2 different kinds of electrical certifications / licenses for electricians:

Qualified Journeyman License. This license allows you to work on wiring for heat, lighting, power sources, and other electrical systems without being shadowed by a licensed electrician. Plus, you’ll be allowed to train apprentices at your workplace. This license, however, does not allow you to apply for a business permit.

Electrical Contractor License. With this license, you can take on larger electrical contracts and apply for a business permit to become a small business owner. You’ll need to apply for the test before you’re even allowed to take it; then, you can receive your license after passing the test.

Did the person have a Qualified Journeyman License or an Electrical Contractor License?

How long did they have the license?

Did you verify the license?

I would get a new electrician who is qualified and competent to locate and fix the problem and not just assume that it is probably a defective pump with no basis for that assumption.

Maybe the grounds and neutrals are tied together?

Maybe there is no neutral and the ground is being used for a neutral?

In any case, I would get a qualified electrician who knows what they are doing to figure it out and fix it.

Last edited:
Checked and narrowed to the pump. Was the motor wiring compartments opened and checked? Sounds like the neutral may also be touching the ground.
That is the next step. I was looking for another pump to buy (used) to fill in while i have the issue checked out. Not knowledge enough myself to diagnose that. Wiring diagram looks fairly basic but i want a better set of eyes on it and proven with a meter, etc

That is the next step. I was looking for another pump to buy (used) to fill in while i have the issue checked out. Not knowledge enough myself to diagnose that. Wiring diagram looks fairly basic but i want a better set of eyes on it and proven with a meter, etc
Take another item with a three-prong plug that actually has a ground connection and plug into that socket. Does the issue continue? If not get a new pump. If so the wiring will have to be inspected.
The problem with buying a used pump is there has to be a reason it was taken off, likely because it was failing in some way. So, that may not tell you anything. Your existing pump looks to have had a seal leak at some point and replacing it might be the best option.

The 3-4 volts wasn’t enough I guess to be alarmed.
3 to 4 volts from where to where?

Most likely, you have a serious problem somewhere, but just trying random things without understanding what you are doing is not the way to safely resolve the issue.

In my opinion, you need a real electrician to check everything and figure out if there is a problem and identify the exact problem, not give an opinion about what they think might be the cause.

Most likely, the person who you thought was a licensed electrician was merely a helper or apprentice who had no clue about what they were doing.

Unless the person can give you an exact diagnosis with an explanation of why the diagnosis is correct, then the person does not know what they are doing.

They need to be able to explain what tests were done, what the results were and why the test results point to a specific diagnosis.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.