Hey ! Willi is glad to be here !!

Using my Intro thread to post my first results..

So I opened the pool last night and ran my first test before doing anything to the water
20140502_181616.jpg

My results were
FC .5
CC 0
CH 100
TA 50
CYA 50

I added 6 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine and ran the FC test and was at 25 ? Should I have done maybe 4 gallons ?

This morning I woke up and ran a test

20140503_153100.jpg

FC 5
CC 1
CH 75
TA 50
CYA 90

Still learning the test kit and understanding results, any feedback is welcomed.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I have an open mesh safety cover so my pool looks like this every opening

Well, the first concern is the CYA ... is it 50ppm or 90ppm? It should not have changed. Make sure you do the test in bright indirect light with the tube at your waist and pour it back and forth a few times to see if your readings are consistent.

Once you have the CYA valve, use the FC/CYA Chart to determine the FC you should be maintaining for the SLAM Process. If the CYA is 50ppm, you should maintain 20ppm. If it is 90ppm, you should consider replacing water to lower the CYA, otherwise you FC level must be maintained at 35ppm.

Either way, you need to keep testing and adding chlorine back to SLAM level every few hours if possible.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, if you close late enough and open early enough and follow the procedure in Pool School, you should be able to avoid having the pool turn green like that over the winter.

Well, the first concern is the CYA ... is it 50ppm or 90ppm? It should not have changed. Make sure you do the test in bright indirect light with the tube at your waist and pour it back and forth a few times to see if your readings are consistent.

Once you have the CYA valve, use the FC/CYA Chart to determine the FC you should be maintaining for the SLAM Process. If the CYA is 50ppm, you should maintain 20ppm. If it is 90ppm, you should consider replacing water to lower the CYA, otherwise you FC level must be maintained at 35ppm.

Either way, you need to keep testing and adding chlorine back to SLAM level every few hours if possible.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, if you close late enough and open early enough and follow the procedure in Pool School, you should be able to avoid having the pool turn green like that over the winter.

Thanks for the input jbizzle...first problem, I did the testing indoors and did not pour back and forth, I will do that from now on. I think that is the cause of my inconsistent CYA reading.

I have started brushing and vac-to-waste so alot of the water will be replaced that way.

I usually close when the outdoor temp is in the 60's during the day, usually right after labor day, think I may be closing too early.

The CYA test is tricky for some. Pouring it back and forth will help you get used to it and you'll be able to nail down a consistant number.

I think you're closing too early too. Try staying open until later in Oct if weather permits and open early next year, maybe March. See how that works out for you. :goodjob:

Keep SLAM'ing and BRUSHING. Far to many people don't brush their pools enough.