Hey to all!

lindamd01

Aug 8, 2023
Florida
am new on this site which I came across trying to research and issue that I have. That is the union joints that connect the salt cell T-15, are damaged, one is cracking and I need to replace them. Imagine my dismay when my pool tech told me he'd have to cut the plumbing lines back and rework them. That is the LAST thing I want to do. So I went back to Hayward and dealing with Jim, who is really nice, but who confirmed to me that the pool plumbing pipes would have to be cut. So I've been researching a bit and found that a number of union joints actually come in 2 pieces per joint but held together with 2 screws. Does anyone have any ideas or experiences that may help me?

Linda

Attachments

• POOL CONNECTOR TO SALT CELL2 with Arrows2.pdf
    539 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm not sure about the 2-screw union you are referring to. :scratch: Maybe @1poolman1 would know. Unions, like the one below, are aftermarket products commonly used, but you can't just remove the nuts (I don't think). I'm pretty sure you could contact Discount Salt Pools as one example of a vendor who supports Hayward and Circupool (they are similar) and they should have extra union nuts they could ship you.

full

am new on this site which I came across trying to research and issue that I have. That is the union joints that connect the salt cell T-15, are damaged, one is cracking and I need to replace them. Imagine my dismay when my pool tech told me he'd have to cut the plumbing lines back and rework them. That is the LAST thing I want to do. So I went back to Hayward and dealing with Jim, who is really nice, but who confirmed to me that the pool plumbing pipes would have to be cut. So I've been researching a bit and found that a number of union joints actually come in 2 pieces per joint but held together with 2 screws. Does anyone have any ideas or experiences that may help me?

Linda
Like most, Hayward unions are proprietary thrads.
These split-nuts are supposed to be designed for Hayward salt cells:

Gosh 1poolman1 I thank you much! What was most interesting to me though is that Jim was adamant about the union joints for the salt cell - I had suspected that the union joints might be specifically for hayward only but had not yet researched it - but have the magic plastic union joints been tested wrt leaks? do you have to use plumbers tape? it's all kinda absurd to me that Hayward design would NOT include replacement joints seeing as how every single pool tech I've had over here to check the salt cell on a regular basis have used wrenches to take those union joints off. Yes as Jim stated my union joints have been abused but from what I've read on the internet my situation is more the norm than not. Have actually requested that Hayward have a "master class". No reply - sigh.........it's just so much easier to have a salt cell rather than hauling tons of chlorine around......

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm not sure about the 2-screw union you are referring to. :scratch: Maybe @1poolman1 would know. Unions, like the one below, are aftermarket products commonly used, but you can't just remove the nuts (I don't think). I'm pretty sure you could contact Discount Salt Pools as one example of a vendor who supports Hayward and Circupool (they are similar) and they should have extra union nuts they could ship you.

full
Thanks much Texas Splash! what I have is
Hayward GLX-CELL-UNION 2-Inch Union, Nut and Tailpiece Replacement for Hayward Salt Chlorine Generators which I already have. The issue is that the new ones will need to slide over the existing plumbing and they won't - not big enough. Thus the solution of cutting up the plumbing which I think is ridiculous - who designs a system like that? Trust me, Hayward has enough proprietary items on their systems they don't need union joints designed just for them. 1poolman1 has already contacted me thx but am not so sure his proposed solution will work either since those union joints have to be removed every time the cell is inspected =- but definitely will contact Discount Salt pools and thanks.
Sold by: LIAME LLC

Gosh 1poolman1 I thank you much! What was most interesting to me though is that Jim was adamant about the union joints for the salt cell - I had suspected that the union joints might be specifically for hayward only but had not yet researched it - but have the magic plastic union joints been tested wrt leaks? do you have to use plumbers tape? it's all kinda absurd to me that Hayward design would NOT include replacement joints seeing as how every single pool tech I've had over here to check the salt cell on a regular basis have used wrenches to take those union joints off. Yes as Jim stated my union joints have been abused but from what I've read on the internet my situation is more the norm than not. Have actually requested that Hayward have a "master class". No reply - sigh.........it's just so much easier to have a salt cell rather than hauling tons of chlorine around......
Those are not the union, but the nut that holds one together. The O ring is the seal. Break the old nut off (cut it), put the split-nut in its place, tighten the halves together with the screws and thread onto the cell.
Be sure the O ring is good, use a bit of pool lube when reassembling the union, and the mating surface is clean. No, no tape needed, the O ring is the seal.
Those union nuts are usually hand tight when installed, or maybe just an extra partial turn, but plastic has a tendency to stick together after a long time tightly threaded like that. I use a strap wrench that doesn't grip like a Vise-Grip and cause damage, but sometimes still need one. If one is careful the damage is minimal, but it still is plastic that warps/deteriorates in the elements and the pressure exerted by a large pliers can be enormous. That's why companies like Magic Plastics makes these aftermarket items.

Those are not the union, but the nut that holds one together. The O ring is the seal. Break the old nut off (cut it), put the split-nut in its place, tighten the halves together with the screws and thread onto the cell.
Be sure the O ring is good, use a bit of pool lube when reassembling the union, and the mating surface is clean. No, no tape needed, the O ring is the seal.
Those union nuts are usually hand tight when installed, or maybe just an extra partial turn, but plastic has a tendency to stick together after a long time tightly threaded like that. I use a strap wrench that doesn't grip like a Vise-Grip and cause damage, but sometimes still need one. If one is careful the damage is minimal, but it still is plastic that warps/deteriorates in the elements and the pressure exerted by a large pliers can be enormous. That's why companies like Magic Plastics makes these aftermarket items.
yes I am aware that I'm kinda co-mixing names - to me the nut s/b called a collar or a cuff but whatever. If you look at the 2 pics I posted originally and the replacement parts that Jim told me to purchase: Hayward GLX-CELL-UNION 2-Inch Union, Nut and Tailpiece Replacement for Hayward Salt Chlorine Generators you'd recommend that I use the new replacement union or the old one s/b reused or can it be reused? That is in response to your O ring seal comments. Cuz the old seal is over 7 years now. I know the union nuts s/b hand tightened but none of the techs have EVER done that. Plus the plumbing gets full FL sun at least 14 hours per day and the plastic does age - from what you previously stated seems like the only thing I'd have to replace is one union nut since one of mine has a crack in it - hasn't split as of yet but it will. But now am somewhat concerned about the seal, O-ring.

O rings are very inexpensive:

You have the tailpiece already, it is glued to the inlet and outlet pipe of the cell. You need the nut. Get the 2 as the one that isn't broken may soon be broken.

As the plastic sits in the sun it does shrink/warp/corrode and hand-tightening may no loner be possible. The split-nuts were designed so that no cutting, gluing, re-plumbing need to be done. But, if you want to get, the GLX Cell unions and re-do the plumbing. Its what had to be done before those split-nuts were available.

Morning 1Poolman1! thank you so much AGAIN! I understand exactly what you're saying; it concurs with my observations on my own system. I will get the O rings as I might as well replace since the unit will be apart. Next question though is: in the future, when inspecting or/and cleaning the salt cell, will the magic plastics new nuts need to be unscrewed with the adjoining screws OR will the pieces effectively have solidified into one piece that can be unscrewed as a complete piece? I can see where undoing/redoing the adjoining screws having to be constantly taken apart - even just 4x per year would risk leaks in a greater probability than unscrewing the entire nut as one piece? And thank you again for dealing with essentially a novice who does possess some logic even if I call the parts all the wrong names :)

...So I've been researching a bit and found that a number of union joints actually come in 2 pieces per joint but held together with 2 screws. Does anyone have any ideas or experiences that may help me?

Linda

This happened to me and I found replacement "split nuts' that fit my Hayward T-Cell at my local pool store. Took 2 minutes to install and the cost for the part was $6. I bought a few extras to throw in my toolbox if the other one goes.

Attachments

• PXL_20230811_135402605.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230811_135402605.MP.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230811_135433860.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230811_135433860.MP~2.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230811_140516375.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230811_140516375.MP.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Morning 1Poolman1! thank you so much AGAIN! I understand exactly what you're saying; it concurs with my observations on my own system. I will get the O rings as I might as well replace since the unit will be apart. Next question though is: in the future, when inspecting or/and cleaning the salt cell, will the magic plastics new nuts need to be unscrewed with the adjoining screws OR will the pieces effectively have solidified into one piece that can be unscrewed as a complete piece? I can see where undoing/redoing the adjoining screws having to be constantly taken apart - even just 4x per year would risk leaks in a greater probability than unscrewing the entire nut as one piece? And thank you again for dealing with essentially a novice who does possess some logic even if I call the parts all the wrong names :)
They will unthread as if they were one piece. If they stick while trying to remove they can be taken apart, but that's not what they were designed to do. They appear to be a different plastic than the cell itself, so the sticking issue may not come up again.

This happened to me and I found replacement "split nuts' that fit my Hayward T-Cell at my local pool store. Took 2 minutes to install and the cost for the part was $6. I bought a few extras to throw in my toolbox if the other one goes.
Wanted to tell you thank you much mcba2020! I know now that the union nuts can be replaced w/o redoing the entire plumbing system. Have the parts & will have a plumber friend come over to do.......:) Linda

Reactions: mcba2020