Here we go! OB in Las Vegas

Aug 30, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Shout out to the guys that took the time to PM me and chat with me on t he phone with encouragement! After going around and talking to a bunch of PBs and looking at their quotes, I've decided to dive in (I'm sure I'm not the only one to say that!) I've been helped our tremendously by the good people at TFP when I first got a home with a pool. We moved on from there and ended up in another house with a pool for 3 years. After our move to Las Vegas, I knew I had to have a pool. The problem was I couldn't find a house. The market here has pretty slim pickings especially given our criteria of distance to my husband's work and to UNLV. So, that lead us to new construction.

Back to my build. I'm thinking (hoping) I can come in a good bit under these quotes. If anyone local wants to review these quotes with me, I'll happily by you lunch or coffee because I am still wondering if it might be better to go that route. We close on our house this coming week and I'm looking at roughly a back yard that is 55' wide and 24' deep. And I don't need anything back there other than a pool, firepit, seating, and some space to BBQ. The side yard is right at 8' so that space will be great for the dog to play.

I played around with Smart Draw but now my trial is out but this is a rough idea of what I'm thinking. We don't have a covered patio so I threw a pergola on the plan. I've also learned that I'm not really 55' like the plot plan says so adjustments will have to be made. I will have for sure measurements on Tuesday.
pool.jpg

Questions -
1) Keeping in mind that space in the back yard is limited would a 6x6 spa be suitable for 4 people comfortably?
2) Depth of pool - 5 ft is what most quotes were for and I wondered if 5 1/2 or 6 would be better,

I'm sure there will be many more questions coming so thanks in advance for you guys helping!

Questions -
1) Keeping in mind that space in the back yard is limited would a 6x6 spa be suitable for 4 people comfortably? Lay out your water hose in that size and see what you think....knees touching? Enough room for feet? Room for elbows/arms?

2) Depth of pool - 5 ft is what most quotes were for and I wondered if 5 1/2 or 6 would be better, Do you want to be able to walk all over the whole pool? Do you want a area for the kids to be able to dive down and play "get it" games?

I'm sure there will be many more questions coming so thanks in advance for you guys helping!

My replies in purple!

Kim:kim:

My replies in purple!

Kim:kim:

We'll for sure be mocking up a layout of the pool to check for how it "feels"!
As far as depth, we don't really have any interest in making it a pool for diving or necessarily for playing "get it" games but also want it to deep enough. The tallest in our family is 5'7" so I guess we are leaning towards a 6ft deep end. I just thought it was interesting that the quotes from various PB were mostly 5 ft. so it got to me thinking about it.

PB start at 5ft and will charge you 1k+ to add a foot and depending on the size of your pool they will charge you a couple grand. As a owner builder 6ft is standard and 7ft is a small up charge provided they don’t hit caliche

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have an updated sub-list if you need it. I took the one that was going around and complied everything into one.

Yes please and thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

I met with the pool designer today and we are up and running! He liked my initial plan and totally understood what I was wanting. He also filled me in on the 6 ft not costing any more than 5 ft so we'll be going with 6 ft for sure. I'm excited about getting the plans back and getting the process started.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.