Helping a friend with her solar panels

cooljul- what is your objective?

Help you friends with a possible solution that involves rolling the costs back on the inspector or realtor?

Or a DIY fix where you get into the system and start testing????

I can tell you what you need to do to pressurize the solar loop, but once water starts spraying all over the roof (and youve destroyed the evidence) what is your plan then? I would not touch it until you preserve the ability to file a claim.

In the first post, the second picture: are the 2 caps glued on?.... do the two pipes that go out of frame run up to the 'bottom' of the solar panels and the top of the panels (that are pictured on the roof in a later shot)??

It would probably be best to pressurize it with air first to test it. I believe that most solar panels have a 10 year warranty. It is very likely that they leak and they didn't want to repair them for some reason. Leaky panels can be repaired.

Hi guys I want to thank you all for taking the time to look at the pics and offer your information and suggestions. Our main goal was to just gain more knowledge on the solar heating system so that when they pursue this they will be armed with information. :smile:

Let us know how this turns out. Would be interesting to see what needs to be done to get it working.

They may wish to consider contacting the original installers to see how much they would charge to come out and assess the system.

Very odd they capped it like that when they could have just left the valves off.

I too had solar at my last house and during inspection the former homeowner told me
he had never tried to use it.

When I tested it, water came spurting out of 1 panel which I repaired then it worked great all summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.