Helping a friend: This should be a good one

Congrats! I haven't been checking in much and didn't catch this thread until today. I had to chuckle a bit to myself, because I think one of my first posts here was about alum. It was pointed out that it would very rarely be needed if following the SLAM/bleach method. My ego may have been slightly bruised, but now I know.

I had used it several times long ago in my first pool after intractable algae blooms in August. Now I know the reason for those blooms and why the shock wasn't working. CYA. Haven't had a touch of green in 3 Augusts now, after learning this method. Haven't bought clarifier, algaecide, or any other chemicals (with the exception of a small bucket of tabs the first year) either. Bleach or liquid chlorine, is it.

But I do remember the alum worked well, even if my chemistry was all whacked out by too much CYA. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.