Helping a friend open ihs pool - lots to adjust

So we ended up needing to SLAM. By the time we got it open, it was green. We could see the bottom though. We started SLAMing right away. We are in day 2. Here are our results:

FC: 10
CC: 0
ph: 7.5
TA: 100
CH:80
CYA: 20-30

We are holding 10 for FC. Checking 4-6 times per day and cleaning the filter 2-3 times a day.

The water went from green to turquoise to a light green. You can easily see the bottom now. But it's still a light green. I assume it just takes time to clear?

Thanks.

So we ended up needing to SLAM. By the time we got it open, it was green. We could see the bottom though. We started SLAMing right away. We are in day 2. Here are our results:

FC: 10
CC: 0
ph: 7.5
TA: 100
CYA: 20-30

We are holding 10 for FC. Checking 4-6 times per day and cleaning the filter 2-3 times a day.

The water went from green to turquoise to a light green. You can easily see the bottom now. But it's still a light green. I assume it just takes time to clear?

Thanks.
Yes. And as CYA approaches 30, SLAM FC should be 12.

Thanks Dave. He is a bit overwhelemed, but also realized that he likely had water last year that was way off. Turned green twice, and he just shocked the heck out of it with granules.

Anyway, Tonight's test yielded the following

FC: 7
CC: 0.5
ph: 7.8
TA: 120

We added bleach to bump the FC to 12 (based on our CYA being borderline 30) and lowered PH. Iit's still a faint green, but clear. Hopefully tomorrow is starts clearing. He'll have to clean his cartridge filter again too.

Well my buddy just texted me. He says the pool is now sparkling blue. No green. Can't wait to see it tonight and run another set of tests. Going for the OCLT tonight. He may be there in only 3 days! Just ordered a TF-100 with SpeedStir for him too. He's one of us now!

It came around nicely. Had a FC of 10 tonight, and ph of 7.5 (didn't measure the rest). He's doing the OCLT with my kit tomorrow morning before the sun comes up, and he'll let me know the numbers. I think, need to read up on the test, that you're shooting for a loss of 1ppm or less right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, he's done...only lost 1ppm in FC overnight, and he tested water after daylight (although overcast and raining) so had he done it before the sun came up (behind the clouds), it may have been lower. CC was barely noticeable, but have to register it at 0.5. My guess is a small drop would have cleared it. And the water is sparkling clean. He now goes into maintenance mode with his new trouble free pool. 60 hrs from cover off to swimming with a SLAM in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.