flipfloplife2

Dec 15, 2023
Islamorada, FL
contractor allllmost finished the pool and then went incommunicado last 24 hours.

here's what i have. pool is done and the plasterers left and left the hose running tuesday at noon. we turned it off when the pool was filled to 1/2 up tile.

pump, filter and chlorinator are in. blower is not (and it's not on the porch). Electrician is making hook up to pump (and lights and chlorinator) today ---- at my request because non response pool contractor.

so --- i feel like i have all the pieces and a pool that will be green pretty quick if i don't do something.

i have added no chemicals. pool is approx 4500 gallons.

can someone on here walk me through exactly what i need to add and where i might find it? i have a local hardware that has both liquid chlorine and acid by the gallon. but i think i need salt to start?

not even sure if this IS an emergency? but the contractor has ghosted right now (dunno, car accident, family thing -- will worry about that later).

contractor allllmost finished the pool and then went incommunicado last 24 hours.

here's what i have. pool is done and the plasterers left and left the hose running tuesday at noon. we turned it off when the pool was filled to 1/2 up tile.

pump, filter and chlorinator are in. blower is not (and it's not on the porch). Electrician is making hook up to pump (and lights and chlorinator) today ---- at my request because non response pool contractor.

so --- i feel like i have all the pieces and a pool that will be green pretty quick if i don't do something.

i have added no chemicals. pool is approx 4500 gallons.

can someone on here walk me through exactly what i need to add and where i might find it? i have a local hardware that has both liquid chlorine and acid by the gallon. but i think i need salt to start?

not even sure if this IS an emergency? but the contractor has ghosted right now (dunno, car accident, family thing -- will worry about that later).
You don’t wanna add salt for at least a month after new plaster. Just start up with liquid chlorine for now.

ok great -- how much? (sorry am on the road and dear wife is on site dealing w/ it)
Depends on how large the pool is and what concentration of chlorine/bleach you have. General recommendation is 5ppm each day as a good start. Probably can go a little lighter in the winter.

Download the poolmath app and it’ll help you calculate 5ppm.

ok. got a pump running (most definitely not to code, but it's running for now). Got FC up to 2. PH has been running up, add acid per poolmath, it comes down ... few hours later it's back up (my impression from reading here is that that is normal?). Been brushing, should be able to vac on monday. Contractor still a ghost. Been trying to make sure i follow the "Starting a Plaster Pool" in the Pool School Section. No sequestrant was available locally - get some via mail or skip?

Without CYA, the chlorine will degrade very quickly. The recommendation would be to add 30ppm of dry stabilizer using a sock hanging from a stick in front of a pool return, get the calcium up over 250ppm, and then keep managing the pH to keep it below 8.0, but never lower than 7.2.

Then maybe go swimming cause 71F sounds tropical right now. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.