The pucks are adding cya so take that into consideration when determining cya & corresponding slam level
FC/CYA Levels
Here’s roughly what each dissolved does in your pool
View attachment 514054
After they are dissolved discontinue their use.
Took the chlorine pool tabs out yesterday afternoon…so not sure how long cya levels will take to go down now…

Question: I’m currently on day 4 of a slam. Do I need to be checking other chem levels besides fc while in the process? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Getting frustrated…. Thought my pool was getting better but it now almost seems to be getting worse (more chlorine loss overnight). Crud still accumulating on bottom of pool. When will this end? 🥹🥹

Ps when I brush my pool I don’t always clean it afterwards as I assume the highly chlorinated water is also cleaning it? Do you guys clean after each brushing?

Attachments

• IMG_3993.jpeg
    IMG_3993.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3992.jpeg
    IMG_3992.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 11
How often are you testing and dosing? Every other hour versus 2x a day has a big effect on duration of SLAM.

Also you might have a pocket of gunk behind a drain, light, skimmer weir door, etc. You need to go over every item and surface to make sure there’s nothing being missed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day 7 of slam. When will I not see this stuff anymore?!😢😡. So just so you all are aware… I started with 0.5 CC so on the fence if there was actually algae but water accumulates this stuff at bottom and along wrinkles in my liner. I have a seasonal 14k above ground pool so I’m wondering how if I should just listened to my husband and drained the pool 🫣😬 filling it again being it’s an expense in itself is a pain. At this point is it worth it to drain partially and refill or just carry on with slam.? I have worked all week so there was really only one day (last Sunday) where I was around to really keep on top of it. The rest of the days I would bring to slam level in the morning and wouldn’t be able to adjust/check until 8-9 hrs later …and I don’t have a vac to waste option so I’m just spraying clean the filter every couple days and (we just changed the filter in the last week) and I use my handheld vac on the weekends but brushing 2-3 times a day in between and running my pump 24/7.

Talk me off the wall about adding algaecides… 🫣🫣🫣 knowing this pool will come down in 1-2 months anyways…

Attachments

• IMG_4003.jpeg
    IMG_4003.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 4
Algaecides are preventative, not curative. So you would only be dumping more $$ for no benefit.
More frequent dosing will kill more often, shortening the duration. But understandable that life gets in the way.

Once you kill and turn the corner, your filter will do the rest of the cleanup. There's no requirement to vacuum to waste to complete a SLAM, so don't let that discourage you.

If you see dead algae cells, that calls for SLAM even if CC is borderline.

Keep on it - it works, it just takes time. While you're home for weekend, try to test and dose every 2 hours even into the night. That'll help immensely.

Yesterday I thought I turned a corner. Added half as much chlorine than day before but this morning there’s so much “fluff” 😡😡😢😢🫣🫣

Tested my cc and it’s 0.5. This is what it was when I started too. I’m so bummed…

Attachments

• IMG_4021.jpeg
    IMG_4021.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4020.jpeg
    IMG_4020.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 9
Also contemplating shocking higher than 20. I can’t seem to tell what my mustard algae shock level would be (the link to the chart shows a couple numbers for my cya of 50… says 19.5 and 29.5….

Also contemplating shocking higher than 20. I can’t seem to tell what my mustard algae shock level would be (the link to the chart shows a couple numbers for my cya of 50… says 19.5 and 29.5….
SLAM is about maintaining a level that is sufficient to kill algae. Higher will not "help." The issue you are faced with is that you cannot maintain FC on a consistent enough basis to be effective because you work. While you are gone and FC drops, it can grow again. I think your best plan of action is to make the decision to SLAM every hour you reasonable can when you are home, even late into the night if possible. AND to do the same on the weekend. The other alternative is to drain and start over (not a fun proposition).

Reactions: Carshell
Should I recheck my cya? When I started the slam a week ago it was 50
Yes, that's smart.

You don't have mustard algae, it's not common. That's just plain old algae, which SLAM can take care of...
Higher FC levels will only serve to use more chlorine and $$ for no practical effect.

But let's get a new CYA reading and make sure SLAM FC levels are good. Hang in there.

Reactions: Carshell

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.