Help, y’all please - diagnosis

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
So after a week from absolute heck, I went and did my weekly chems. The pool had ZERO chlorine. It was 8.5 on Mon or Tues

ANYWAY, lights were on to check salt and check the thing. Husband cleaned it and that didn’t work and so he took to Leslie’s and they said it was okay. They are thinking a chip is bad on the box? My husband has been googling like crazy and has tried multiple things but it’s just not working. Salt in pool my husband says is 3600.

Any ideas?

And number 2, as usual, he wants to use pucks to keep the chlorine up . I know we aren’t supposed to use those but don’t remember the reason why.🙄

Last edited by a moderator:
I know we aren’t supposed to use those but don’t remember the reason why.🙄
Each tab will raise your CYA by .7. <---- that's 'point 7' in case it looks weird.

In the short term, they are fine but they are unsustainable long term as so many like to use them.

It's not that we don't like the chlorine pucks, it's the fact that all powders or pucks not only add chlorine, they contain other materials which if not held in check can cause other problems.

Pucks: Trichlor contain CYA, so every puck adds both chlorine and CYA, which can cause your CYA levels to climb out of control
Powders/granules: Dichlor also contains CYA, and Calcium Hypo contains calcium which again can cause your calcium levels to climb.

Your best bet is to add sodium hypo (bleach) using pool math to calculate your dosage rate. This will be your best option till your SWG is working. Either get liquid chlorinating from Walmart under the Pool Essentials brand 10%, if you can't find that, any cheap bleach will work, but it will be at a lower concentration,,,,,, DO NOT USE SPLASH FREE OR SCENTED BLEACH, they contain additives that will cause other issues.

Reactions: Newdude
The pucks (even if you can handle the cya increase) will take too long to dissolve & get you to target fc levels
FC/CYA Levels
Use liquid chlorine to reach target levels now.
What is your current cya level?
& all the others.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.