Jan 14, 2018
Space Coast, FL
Hello to all. Looking for some help. Had recent repair of broken return pipe to spa under deck. Repair (seems) fine. No longer loosing water from pool/spa. However, spa will not hold water when pump turned off, pretty rapidly leveling out with pool. Happened a few years back, and a quick change of the check valve fixed it. This time, I swapped in 2 new check valves to no success. Doesn’t seem to be the valve. During the repair, pretty sure my valves were adjusted when locating the leak. I have read that if the valves are not set properly, this also can affect the spas ability to hold water (?). Problem is (for me), aside from the valve that regulates flow for main drain versus pool filter (the valve on the far right of the picture in the foreground to the motor/pump)I have no idea how the other valves should be set. And, to add to the mystery, the labels on the related piping has long faded off. So I am hoping you all can help me out.

Goals:
1. Label pipes
2. Set valves in correct position.
Currently run the pool in “pool mode” and want the spa to continuously overflow into the pool.

I have included pictures to help out. One of the whole setup, and a left and right “closer” up. Note: the spa heater needs to be repaired (hasn’t worked in years). Also when the pool shuts off on the spa is draining, the valve right in front of the automatic chlorinated (also not working) gives an audible repetitive “click” sound until the spa levels out with the pool.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    747.3 KB · Views: 37
  • D5FB8B71-597E-4A04-A6FF-C65295E9F8AA.jpeg
    D5FB8B71-597E-4A04-A6FF-C65295E9F8AA.jpeg
    617.8 KB · Views: 37
  • A1484DD0-AA53-4A1D-9844-CB0F38E99957.jpeg
    A1484DD0-AA53-4A1D-9844-CB0F38E99957.jpeg
    719.9 KB · Views: 38
The suction side actuated valve does not appear to be closing off the spa suction, which should be the left side pipe.

Cap,

You Intake and Return valves do not look correct to me.

Your Intake valve (The automated valve right in front of the pump) should be fully in the Pool position or Spa position, not in between)

Your Return valve (The automated valve right after your tab feeder) should be fully in the Pool position or the Spa position, not in between)

In the Pool mode, the Intake valve should suck water from the Pool only.. And the Return valve should send all the water back to the Pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Cap,

You Intake and Return valves do not look correct to me.

Your Intake valve (The automated valve right in front of the pump) should be fully in the Pool position or Spa position, not in between)

Your Return valve (The automated valve right after your tab feeder) should be fully in the Pool position or the Spa position, not in between)

In the Pool mode, the Intake valve should suck water from the Pool only.. And the Return valve should send all the water back to the Pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for helping out. I follow that the valves are not set correctly. Regarding adjusting the valves to “pool mode”, I guess I should just pick a direction (full left or right) on both the automated valves in front of the pump and the tab chlorinator. How will in know which direction is correct? And do you think they both would be in the left or right position (both left or both right) or possible one might be one way and one the other? I really appreciate your patience….. I really have no idea what I’m doing!

Cap,

When your automation system is in the Pool mode, the valve in front of the pump should have the "Off" tab pointed to the full left in your pic. This will shut off the input pipe from your Spa. The actuator above the valve has a little toggle switch that has three positions. ON-OFF-ON.

Go out a see if the switch is in the middle Off position. If it is, set it to whichever ON position moves the valve so that the OFF-tab points to the left.

One ON position will move the valve fully one way, and the other ON position will move it 180 degrees.

Let us know what happens.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Cap,

When your automation system is in the Pool mode, the valve in front of the pump should have the "Off" tab pointed to the full left in your pic. This will shut off the input pipe from your Spa. The actuator above the valve has a little toggle switch that has three positions. ON-OFF-ON.

Go out a see if the switch is in the middle Off position. If it is, set it to whichever ON position moves the valve so that the OFF-tab points to the left.

One ON position will move the valve fully one way, and the other ON position will move it 180 degrees.

Let us know what happens.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ok. The automated valve by the pump/motor was set in the OFF position. It appears like the valve may be shot or a wire cut because the valve does not automatically move when the switch is placed to either ON position. Bummer. The auto valve by the tab chlorinated does move when set in either ON position. So if running in pool mode (haven’t switched it in years since the spa heater died), should I manually adjust the auto valve by the pump so that the OFF tab is towards the left of the pic/Pentair handle to the right, and then set the one by the tab chlorination in the same direction by switching to an “on” position? Sound about right? If so, I’ll try that and what should I be looking for? (I assume spillover into the pool when running, and of course the spa to hold water when not). Whew. Thanks for sticking with me!

cap,

I don't think you can manually move a Pentair actuator. :scratch:

If you can, move it so the Off tab points to the left in your pic.

If you can't manually move it, you can remove the actuator and then manually move the valve itself. The actuator just sits on top of the valve, remove four screws and it just comes right off.

I looked again at your pics and your Return valve is offset to allow water to constantly flow to your spa. For now, I would leave the Return valve set the way it is in your pic.

Jim R.

Once you have taken the actuator off to adjust the suction side valve, you cannot use those screws in the valve without the actuator, they will break the valve. Hopefully the valve does not leak.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
cap,

I don't think you can manually move a Pentair actuator. :scratch:

If you can, move it so the Off tab points to the left in your pic.

If you can't manually move it, you can remove the actuator and then manually move the valve itself. The actuator just sits on top of the valve, remove four screws and it just comes right off.

I looked again at your pics and your Return valve is offset to allow water to constantly flow to your spa. For now, I would leave the Return valve set the way it is in your pic.

Jim R.
Jim,

Turns out the wire on the actuator near the pump was cut (whenever ago). I removed the actuator and turned the valve so OFF tab was to to the left of the pic as you recommended. I am guessing I turned off the “spa return” pipe and can label it as such? In any case, this improved the flow of waterfall from the spa into the pool while pool is running. Turned pool off and spa is holding water (was leveling out in roughly 5 minutes before this switch). In short, THANK YOU very much. Attaching one final overhead pic of the valves by the tab chlorinated to show current positions a bit better, as the actuated valve moved when I flipped to to ON position. Suggestions appreciated for both, and once set I will put the actuated valve back in the off position as I am running exclusively in pool mode.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cap,

Your Return valve is now set so that 50% of the water goes through the check valve and into the spa. (Overflow) And 50% of the water is going back to the pool.

It is your pool, and you can run it anyway you want, but I suggest that you set the Return valve so that the amount of water going to the spa is only about 20%.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Cap,

Your Return valve is now set so that 50% of the water goes through the check valve and into the spa. (Overflow) And 50% of the water is going back to the pool.

It is your pool, and you can run it anyway you want, but I suggest that you set the Return valve so that the amount of water going to the spa is only about 20%.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Glad to take your suggestion. In order to do that, the “off” portion of the valve would be facing more towards the check valve, correct? And lastly, any idea what the other valve is regulating in the same picture (the manual valve) and if any changes are suggested? Thanks again.

and lastly, any idea what the other valve is regulating in the same picture (the manual valve)

Cap,

The other valve controls the water returning to the pool.. At least one of the pipes is sending the water to your pool returns (eyeballs) in the side wall of pool. The other pipe could be a number of things... more pool returns, a waterfall (not the spa's water fall), deep returns, a slide, bubblers, water features, etc.. What you got??

Jim R.

Cap,

The other valve controls the water returning to the pool.. At least one of the pipes is sending the water to your pool returns (eyeballs) in the side wall of pool. The other pipe could be a number of things... more pool returns, a waterfall (not the spa's water fall), deep returns, a slide, bubblers, water features, etc.. What you got??

Jim R.
Got eyeballs in the walls, pop-ups in the bottom of the pool. Think that’s it! So maybe I’ll set that one at the 50-50 mark and see how it goes. I’ll also try the 20% on the actuator valve near the check valve. Again, thank you for helping!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.