aumfc

Apr 16, 2023
Pelham, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I learned that my SWG wasn't generating chlorine below 50 degrees this winter, but I expected that once it warmed up, it would start again. However, that doesn't seem to be the case.

A week or two ago my chlorine was 0 so I added a gallon of liquid chlorine, which took it back where it needed to be. I checked it again recently and it's back to 0. Here's what my iAqualink tells me:

Screenshot_20240314_075607_iAquaLink.jpg

I contacted the pool company that built the pool last spring, and they said "That should go away if you add more salt to the pool." I thought I learned here that the salt shouldn't go away that much. The only way it leaves the pool is maybe through the overflow but there'd have to be a lot of it. Did I misunderstand?

Do I need to add salt, or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks.

I learned that my SWG wasn't generating chlorine below 50 degrees this winter, but I expected that once it warmed up, it would start again. However, that doesn't seem to be the case.

A week or two ago my chlorine was 0 so I added a gallon of liquid chlorine, which took it back where it needed to be. I checked it again recently and it's back to 0. Here's what my iAqualink tells me:

View attachment 559784

I contacted the pool company that built the pool last spring, and they said "That should go away if you add more salt to the pool." I thought I learned here that the salt shouldn't go away that much. The only way it leaves the pool is maybe through the overflow but there'd have to be a lot of it. Did I misunderstand?

Do I need to add salt, or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks.
The fault code says the salt is low so that would be the first step. As you get rain over the winter it makes existing pool water overflow out and removes some salt. Same thing happens with CYA.

Do a test for salt level and add as appropriate.

Post a full set of test results from your TF-Pro Salt

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temperature

Use liquid chlorine and dose the pool using the FC/CYA Levels for a non-SWG pool (as your SWG isn't working presently).

You need to check FC daily and maintain FC on the high side of the target range.

Add Salt. 1900 is wayyyy too low. Bump it up to 3500ppm.

I have to add salt every spring. Usually about 200 lbs or so. Usually around August, I have to add another 80 lbs due to dilution from the rainfall and water getting splashed out.

What salt test kit do you have?

You need to test your salt with the Taylor K-1766 or TFT Salt

Do not believe the salinity level from the SWG. It can be out of calibration or defective.

Don't add salt until you know your salt level from a salt water test.