Help with Sun Shelf and step dimensions! 4" vs 6" water depth-- steps & bubblers

May 24, 2017
Union, KY
We are currently digging for our gunnite pool--just started today! I have been going back and forth with PB re: water depth of our sun shelf. They are suggesting 4" water depth. I feel like this is too small. I have settled on liking the idea of 6" water depth. The PB say that the bubblers won't work too well with 6" water and they say 6" water depth would result in a 12" first step down, which may be too big of a step. My questions:
1) How would you design height-wise the addition of a half a step entry (I would do it small on just 1 side of the pool entry, not the entire length)? I'm not sure how big our coping will be. We'll likely do 6" tile. Would you do 7" down to that first step, then 5" down to the sun shelf? (leaving 1 inch of water to cover that 1st step)

2) What do I say to my PB when he says the bubblers won't work well at 6"? From all the pictures I've looked at, it seems that 6" for a sun shelf is pretty standard and bubblers look to be a decent height. But, I am not in this industry and don't have much knowledge to back up my ascertains to PB. Certainly there is a way to make it work! What advice do you have?

Since it seems to me that 6" is a pretty common depth from my research, I am surprised to hear the PB say that he doesn't install that depth and seems to be so opposed to the idea. What am I missing here?

P.S. If someone has a 4" water depth sun shelf, I'd love to know your thoughts on this! Like it or not?

If it matters, I am in the greater Cincinnati area in Northern KY.

I thank you greatly for your help! I have loved this forum over the years in helping me managing my old vinyl pool.

Ours is 6", and I wouldn't mind if it were a couple inches deeper. The bubbler works fine, but I do have a booster pump that controls the bubbler and 3 shear descents. Four inches seems too shallow.

I personally would not go less than 6" on a shelf. If you can push enough water you can easily bubble up through 8" with an Intelliflo3 VSP. I do not have a separate pump for my 3 bubblers in my shelf, although there is a part of me that wishes I had added one.

My main pump has 2 floor returns in the shelf and 5 others around the pool. I can turn the bubblers into 2'+ fountains, if I turn the 3-way valve enough to shunt most of the water through the bubblers. I will not be doing that because the pumbing design (pump and pipe sizes) is not designed to support it. One of the things I did that makes a significant difference in the flow rate I can get through my main filter pump is to have a bypass on the heater. My bubblers can look really good at 2,750 RPMs. They break the water decently at 2,500 RPM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.