Help with stains on pool surface

RaceMX

May 29, 2023
Frisco TX
I noticed what look like small rust stains on my pebble pool surface a few months ago. There's about a dozen of them that I can see around the pool - most of them are on the tanning ledge. I just took over the maintenance of my pool about 3 months ago so I cannot speak to what my former pool service was using to manage the pool chemistry. Prior to getting my TF Pro test kit I have about 2 months worth of tests from Leslie's all showing 0 levels of iron and copper. There's never been any issue with algae in the pool or if there was my pool service did not disclose it to me. The pool is currently crystal clear and looks as good as it ever has. I replaced all of the DE filter grids 2 months ago and the filter pressure has gone up maybe 1 psi with no change in weeks.

I heard vitamin C would remove rust and have tried it 2 or 3 times and unfortunately this did not remove the stains. I looked at the bottle today and it's orange flavor chewable tabs if that matters. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

From yesterday

FC - 8.0
CC - 0.5
TA - 70
CYA - 60
pH - 7.5
CH - 300
SALT - 3200
TEMP - 90
CSI - -0.33

Attachments

• tempImageZ5l72c.png
    tempImageZ5l72c.png
    727.6 KB · Views: 13
Place 15 to 20 Vitamin C tablets in a sock and crush them. Hold the sock on the stain for 3 to 5 minutes. If the stain vanishes or lightens then it is iron.

That means it is NOT iron. That is odd. Does not look like copper. You can try a trichlor puck. Do not let it sit long. Like a minute at most.

Find out what they have used. Someone had an issue with some kind of fertilizer recently that did not react to vitamin C. Might do a search.

I looked up a number of threads that mention fertilizer and iron staining and using vitamin C to fix. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything that mentions my situation. If anyone has a different theory and how I may be able to get rid of these stains please let me know! Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.