Apr 16, 2023
Pelham, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey Everyone,

I have 2 pumps (see signature), a main pump that feeds the SWG and another pump that simply runs the bubblers and spillover.

I just realized I could adjust the RPMs. I'd like help figuring out what settings to run each pump on.

The pool skimmers don't do a great job even with both pumps running at max speed, so I have a solar skimmer that does the job. Only really concerned with running the spillover to circulate the small amount of water up there, and running the main pump to generate chlorine.

How do I go about figuring out the optimal speeds and time to run everything?

Thanks!

You run the pump(s) at a certain rpm and time for a reason.
Do you have automation?
The main pump needs to run long enough and at an appropriate rpm to generate the chlorine your pool needs each day. Test often to confirm you are adding enough chlorine.
If you have automation, it would be wise to schedule a spillover so it runs for 20 minutes or so twice a day to chlorinate the spa.

If your skimmers are not very efficient, be sure they have weir doors. They will not work without the doors installed.

A,

Something is wrong if your skimmers don't work at 3450 RPM!!! :scratch:

The whole point of owning a VS pump is to run it as slow as possible and still be generating chlorine.

Your starting point is to find out at what RPM your SWCG turns off due to low flow.. Let's guess 1500 RPM.. Add 200 RPM and call that the slowest speed you ever want to run. You will have to experiment to find the right speed for your SWCG..

I run at 1200 RPM, most of the time.. At that speed my cell is producing chlorine and my skimmers work just fine.

I also run 24/7, as I like to make a little chlorine all the time, and I like skimming all the time. I also like the look of my pool when there is a little motion to the water. I do that for less than $20 bucks a month!!! And, I have an old VS pump.. new ones are about twice as energy efficient.

Thanks,

Jim R

You run the pump(s) at a certain rpm and time for a reason.
Do you have automation?
The main pump needs to run long enough and at an appropriate rpm to generate the chlorine your pool needs each day. Test often to confirm you are adding enough chlorine.
If you have automation, it would be wise to schedule a spillover so it runs for 20 minutes or so twice a day to chlorinate the spa.

If your skimmers are not very efficient, be sure they have weir doors. They will not work without the doors installed.

Thanks. How do I find out the minimum RPM needed to generate chlorine? Seems like there are 3 variables with the equipment: pump RPM, SWG %, and duration. Is it just trial and error to determine the sweet spot?

Last season I ran it at 3000 RPM for 12 hours a day and that was sufficient at 100%. Would it be better to run it longer at a lower RPM or longer with a lower % on the SWG or just keep it as it was?

I do have automation.

I'm definitely going to reduce how often and at what speed the spillover runs at.

Thanks.

How do I find out the minimum RPM needed to generate chlorine?
A,

You just put the system into the Pool mode and slowly reduce the RPM until the SWCG system tells you there is low or not flow.. This fault should show up on your automation.. Then slowly turn the RPM back up and see where it just comes on. Add 100 or 200 RPM and call that the slowest speed you ever want to run.

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last season I ran it at 3000 RPM for 12 hours a day and that was sufficient at 100%. Would it be better to run it longer at a lower RPM or longer with a lower % on the SWG or just keep it as it was?

There is a threshold speed above which the SWG will work and below which it will not. Aside from that, RPM does not affect the amount of chlorine produced.

So if 3000 RPM for 12 hours/day at 100% works for you, you will get the same result running at ANY RPM above your SWG's threshold for 12 hours/day at 100% (or for 24 hours/day at 50%).

Reactions: Jimrahbe