Help with Re-Plaster Situation!

HomeOwnerNeedsHelp

May 20, 2024
CA

So here's the situation:
- We are finishing up a full backyard remodel. Hardscape / Landscape / Pool Remodel / House painting
- We have finished the hardscaping, pool tiling / coping, etc.

What's left?
Pool Re-Plastering
Landscaping & Irrigation
House Painting

Our contractor says that the proper order should be: House Painting -> Landscaping -> Pool Replaster.
This avoids new plants getting trampled by painters, and prevents any dirt from getting into newly plastered pool causing discoloring.

Problem:
The house painter we had lined up won't be able to start till the beginning of July. Given two weeks of work, puts us in the middle of July heat in southern CA to plant landscaping and replaster which sounds like a horrible idea. We also won't have the pool available to us for the majority of the summer.

My idea is to have them re-plaster the pool now since the weather isn't too warm yet, have the house painted in the summer, and then just have them come back in the Fall to do the landscaping.

Does this sound reasonable? I'm figuring they can cover the pool with tarps or similar to protect the new plaster when they do landscaping? This would allow us to plaster and plant in better weather and also have the pool this summer for use.

I'm worried about the pool plaster getting damaged by the landscaping, which isn't too extensive but still something to worry about.

Thoughts?

Thank You.

I am with you! Get that pool plastered to enjoy it. The landscaping can wait! In fact it will be oh so much better to work on the landscaping then jump in the pool!!

If you have your pool water balanced and you get the dirt out right away then it is no biggie!

So here's the situation:
- We are finishing up a full backyard remodel. Hardscape / Landscape / Pool Remodel / House painting
- We have finished the hardscaping, pool tiling / coping, etc.

What's left?
Pool Re-Plastering
Landscaping & Irrigation
House Painting

Our contractor says that the proper order should be: House Painting -> Landscaping -> Pool Replaster.
This avoids new plants getting trampled by painters, and prevents any dirt from getting into newly plastered pool causing discoloring.

Problem:
The house painter we had lined up won't be able to start till the beginning of July. Given two weeks of work, puts us in the middle of July heat in southern CA to plant landscaping and replaster which sounds like a horrible idea. We also won't have the pool available to us for the majority of the summer.

My idea is to have them re-plaster the pool now since the weather isn't too warm yet, have the house painted in the summer, and then just have them come back in the Fall to do the landscaping.

Does this sound reasonable? I'm figuring they can cover the pool with tarps or similar to protect the new plaster when they do landscaping? This would allow us to plaster and plant in better weather and also have the pool this summer for use.

I'm worried about the pool plaster getting damaged by the landscaping, which isn't too extensive but still something to worry about.

Thoughts?

Thank You.
Houses with pools are painted regularly with no issue. Not likely a painter will tarp a pool, unless you want to pay extra, as that's not normally in the scope of work and they don't want to have a bunch of wet tarps to deal with.
However, painters also don't like having to clean up any more than they have to, so getting paint on anything but the house doesn't happen a lot (it also wastes paint). They also don't like a homeowner claiming they damaged anything, so the good ones are very careful (I have three friends who are painting contractors).
Dirt gets into pools all the time, literally 24/7, in large or small amounts and doesn't discolor the plaster, which is essentially just white or colored concrete, if it doesn't sit too long (days, weeks), just like your walkways. If it does, the stains can usually be removed easily.
What does stain pools is metals. Even the iron in lawn fertilizers can land on the steps or bottom and cause rust stains. Fence work, roofing, deck building, if that is part of the landscaping work, can have nails/screws end up in a pool that must be removed quickly.
Never throw pennies for kids to retrieve as the ones not picked up will stain a pool. Quarters are best (inflation? My thanks to Jimmy Buffet. Parrot heads know).