Help with pump and tripping breaker

Belo

Jun 6, 2013
Rochester, NY
I have this old pump. For the 2 years we've owned the house it's worked well. Last Week it shut off at night during a storm due to a tripped breaker. I reset it and a few days later, same thing. Checked the timer and it appears fine (it's inside at the panel). Cleaned the basket, nothing major in there. Checked the gfci outlet at the switch. Test failed. Took it apart and pretty rusted. Replaced.

During testing of new outlet I notice I get a hum at the pump and it doesn't fire up. I try a few times and she turns over. I'm thinking this is why the breaker is tripping when the timer kicks on? I read about cleaning the impellers, but with this setup I stick a screwdriver in there and just hit a wall. Doesn't appear to be anything there. No fins to manually move and no debris...

When the pump is running the pressure and everything is fine, so my next step (as I test how the timer works on the new outlet) is to take the pump apart but I'm not sure the best way to do this... and I don't want to ruin this semi-functioning pump without having a new one ready to go. Should I be worried about non-replaceable gaskets? There's no manuals anywhere out there for this pump that I can find.

So, just undo the clamp? haha

mLe9Ew1.jpg
LgRwpnn.jpg
site says my pics are too big, so pics are here:
pics of the setup here Pool - Album on Imgur

check under the black plastic cover (remove it) where the electric feed comes in. There will most likely be a capacitor under there that needs to be replaced. It is possible that there is no cap but, instead a momentum switch assembly. I am pretty sure there is a cap though. when you have that cover off, see if the shaft spins free.

Dan

check under the black plastic cover (remove it) where the electric feed comes in. There will most likely be a capacitor under there that needs to be replaced. It is possible that there is no cap but, instead a momentum switch assembly. I am pretty sure there is a cap though. when you have that cover off, see if the shaft spins free.

Dan

thanks Dan, that was actually on my list this morning and there is a capacitor. I'm going to order one. I didn't attempt to spin the shaft yet though. Perhaps I improperly believed that if it's been running fine most of the year that the windings are ok. That the shaft might not spin if corroded from sitting? I guess I'm just hesitant to take a flat head to the back.

Anyhow, the pump made it through 4 on off timer cycles last night which is a positive... I think. Still wish I could figure out how to check/clean the impeller.

- - - Updated - - -

Dan

thanks Dan, that was actually on my list this morning and there is a capacitor. I'm going to order one. I didn't attempt to spin the shaft yet though. Perhaps I improperly believed that if it's been running fine most of the year that the windings are ok. That the shaft might not spin if corroded from sitting? I guess I'm just hesitant to take a flat head to the back.

Anyhow, the pump made it through 4 on off timer cycles last night which is a positive... I think. Still wish I could figure out how to check/clean the impeller.

- - - Updated - - -

finally found the basket side info
American Products Ultra Flo Parts - INYOPools.com

Try U-tube to figure out how to take apart the pump and inspect the impeller.

That's what my husband did to fix our pump that was tripping the GFI breaker. Water was getting thru the o ring and spraying inside the housing onto internal wires that were starting to lose their insulation (I think that's what it was). He had to replace the o ring and the wire. In the process he broke the impeller, which was not turning, which he expected would break because of how he had to pull it apart.

Hope that helps. :cool:

I'm now 95% sure its a capacitor, so waiting on that to come in the mail. I'll be watching sales and hopefully score a superflo on a good deal. I like the idea of a vs pump and I know my current pump is dated, not efficient and on its last legs.

thanks all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.