Help with pool controller location

Jul 10, 2018
Grayson
I just got back from vacation & saw that my PB had completed the electrical installation. This should be a good thing, but I am not happy about the location of the pool controller box.
They mounted a post in the ground next to the equipment and installed the controller on it. I think it looks terrible. We specifically chose the spot for our equipment pad so things could be well concealed from view, but accessible.

I told him I was not happy with the location, but he said the electrician put it "in the only place he could put it to pass code & so I can get to it." "no other place to put it" "you have to have it 3 ft clearance all around the box, and it has to be so many ft away from the gas line." "they put the controller in the right place."

I would be much happier with the box mounted to the brick wall behind/beside the equipment pad. It looks awful sitting on a post.

Does anyone have any insight on what code requirements he is talking about? I read the manual for the controller, and did not see anything regarding placement other than being at least 6' from the pool.

I attempted to host pictures on ImageBB so I could show what I am talking about, but the file was rejected for being too large (iphone picture, sent as 'small' attachment. not sure what else to do.)

Controller is Hayward ProLogic PS8.

tt,

A lot of codes depend on your State and City..

In my case, my Automation is mounted on a wall around the corner from my equipment pad. It has to be fairly close because of all the wiring between the Automation and things like your valves, a SWCG, or VS pump control wire, etc...

dbtgallery.php

I kind of expect that the idea that you have to be able to walk around it is not so true..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Without a picture of where the electrician installed it and where you wanted it... I'm of no help. But the code he is referring to is.... Imagine a box in front of your controller... width of controller, height(all the way to the ground) and 3' in front of your controller. Nothing can be inside the imaginary box. This is considered working space. Some pictures of installs I've seen have pipes and motors in this imaginary box. Only the AHJ (inspector) can give variance to these types installs.

Chris

Without a picture of where the electrician installed it and where you wanted it... I'm of no help. But the code he is referring to is.... Imagine a box in front of your controller... width of controller, height(all the way to the ground) and 3' in front of your controller. Nothing can be inside the imaginary box. This is considered working space. Some pictures of installs I've seen have pipes and motors in this imaginary box. Only the AHJ (inspector) can give variance to these types installs.

Chris

I can't figure out how to make my pictures appear in this thread, but maybe you can see it here: IMG_0820 | David Wimberly | Flickr

The yellow circles are where I told him I would be OK hanging the controller, but he said it would not be acceptable in these locations. Note: There is a gas line for the heater buried in the ground under the yellow circle on the left, if that matters.

I have to agree with Maddie and Jim. My opinion is the location installed is the best from the pictures you have shared.

Circle 1 behind equipment. Definitely can't go there.

Circle 2 on the left:
Facts
1- It appears in the picture you meet the working clearance of the equipment.

2- I would have to read if there any bylaws of the local gas company or the local amendment to the NEC to determine if spacing from gas lines are a requirement. I would call to the inspection department and asking the simple question, " Is there a space requirement between a gas line and electrical equipment.".

Opinion
My opinion the liquidtight conduits under the window would look out of place. Installing it on the left may have left him crossing over all the plumbing and gas pipes. Possibly losing his burial depth requirements or tunneling under all the plumbing and gas lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.