Help with PH and Alkalinity balance in a new in-ground spa

ericha

Silver Supporter
Jul 22, 2023
Rancho Viejo, tx
Hi everyone. I am new to pool chemestry and find mysef learning with a new in-ground 1500 gal plaster spa.

I have been using a Taylor K2006c kit to establish my base parameters.

The contractor set up the spa with a table chlorinator. I am having trouble controlling the TA and PH. I have used acid twice to lower the ph from 8.0 to 7.6 with alkalinity about 90. However, every time that I use the spa (which is only twice or may be three times a week) and turn on the blower for about 15 to 20 minutes, the ph is right back at about 8.0-8.1. I tested this last week by adding acid and turning on the pump, then remeasured and it was at 7.4. I waited about two hours and got into the spa for 20 mins and remeasured right after I got out.

FC -3-4ppm
CC - 0
TA 90-100
PH- see above
CYA - 45
Calcium Hardness - 100 which is my second problem.

How long do I keep adding acid. It does not make sense that I have to do this twice a week or every time use the spa. So far, TA has not moved to much, but I suspect that if I keep adding acid, it will, and then I will have to be using baking soda to increase TA!!!

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,

Ed

Welcome to TFP.
The pH rise you are experiencing is due to aeration of your spa use.
Please read the following as it describes what is happening. The good news is that when TA drops to 60-70 it will also slow the rise of pH. However, if you continue to aerate then pH will rise. You will continue to use MA to adjust pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.