nappi.rachelk

Jun 5, 2022
Utica, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all. This is my 2nd year following TFPC but first time attempting to open myself.

Took a first run of tests and came up with this: (using the drop test kit of course)

FC 0
CYA 0? (Below test range)
pH 7.4
TA 50
CH 130
Borates 30

The pool was quite green so we got to work SLAMing it. It's now looking much better, but still a bit cloudy at the deep end. I haven't retested the other values since the SLAM would mess them up, but currently FC was at 10.5 this morning, and CC at 0.2.

Do I let chlorine drift down, correct CYA then correct the other values? Or should I do something else to get the cloudiness away? I have been hesitant to fix CYA since you're not supposed to backwash the filter for 1 week after doing powder CYA, and since we just opened I figured backwashing might still be necessary.

Photo of deep end cloudiness for reference
20230420_093009.jpg

All help appreciated!

Do I let chlorine drift down, correct CYA then correct the other values? Or should I do something else to get the cloudiness away? I have been hesitant to fix CYA since you're not supposed to backwash the filter for 1 week after doing powder CYA, and since we just opened I figured backwashing might still be necessary.

Photo of deep end cloudiness for reference
Keep SLAMming until you meet all three SLAM criteria. Not sure where you got the no backwash for a week. If you put CYA in a sock in front of a return, no issue backwashing.

Did you slam with 0 CYA? If so, print out, read, re-read the SLAM process...it has CYA info and SLAM criteria...Link-->SLAM Process

Keep SLAMming until you meet all three SLAM criteria. Not sure where you got the no backwash for a week. If you put CYA in a sock in front of a return, no issue backwashing.

Did you slam with 0 CYA? If so, print out, read, re-read the SLAM process...it has CYA info and SLAM criteria...Link-->SLAM Process
My bad, it didn't explicitly state to bring CYA up so I messed up and started SLAMing it. I'll go ahead and bring CYA to 30. How long after dissolving the sock can I test for CYA again?

My bad, it didn't explicitly state to bring CYA up so I messed up and started SLAMing it. I'll go ahead and bring CYA to 30. How long after dissolving the sock can I test for CYA again?
I'd wait 48 hours after dissolved. I have a big pool like you. I once tested after 24 hours, and added more because I didn't get to target...that was a mistake...it had not mixed and distributed yet. Ended up higher than I wanted.

Reactions: Dcookster
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.