Help with my Spa/Pool valves

noobnoob

Aug 11, 2023
Southern California
Hello all, tet's revisit this query again because I removed the pool cleaner from my skimmer port and things are a bit less confusing now. I've attached the pictures of my equipment and also the two valves in question. All modes of operation below start with both valves pointing to the pump.

1) I normal mode, I think pool mode, the valves are positioned to point at the pump. The water is sucked through the skimmer and returned to the pool. There is one jet out of 5 in spa which is retuning the water mildly. Skimmer suction is normal.
2) When the left valve is pointed towards the spa/pool, the spa jets get activated. The water level rises quickly. Is the water being sucked from the spa and returned to the spa? Is the water going through the filter? Is this spa mode? Skimmer suction is mild.
3) When the right valve is pointed towards the spa/pool, water is drained from the spa and it mildly returns to the spa from one jet and also to the pool. The water level keeps receding. What is the function of this mode? Skimmer has no suction.
4) How do I clean the spa? How does chlorine gets into the spa?
5) My spa drain cover is broken and I would like to replace it. Can I use mode 3 above and drain the spa to install a new drain cover? I have a sprinkler arrangement to fill the spa with fresh water fast.

I will appreciate any insight into this setup. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4750.jpeg
    IMG_4750.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4751.jpeg
    IMG_4751.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4753.jpeg
    IMG_4753.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4709.jpeg
    IMG_4709.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4710.jpeg
    IMG_4710.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 22
1) Both valves pointed towards the pool is POOL mode. Water gets sucked from the skimmer and 90% returned to the pool and 10% returned to the spa.

2) Both valves pointed towards the spa is SPA mode. That isolates the equipment and water flow to the spa. Water gets sucked from the spa and returned to the spa.

3) When only the right valve is pointed to the spa it lets you drain the spa for maintenance.

4) The spa gets chlorine from the one jet feeding water to the spa when in pool mode. That gives you a constant spillover from the spa to the pool and over a day replaces the spa water with chlorinated filtered water from the pool.

5) No easy way to clean the spa. Put the valves in spa mode for a while so your filter is filtering the spa water. Brush the spa to stir up the dirt and let the filter catch it.

Reactions: proavia
1) Both valves pointed towards the pool is POOL mode. Water gets sucked from the skimmer and 90% returned to the pool and 10% returned to the spa.

2) Both valves pointed towards the spa is SPA mode. That isolates the equipment and water flow to the spa. Water gets sucked from the spa and returned to the spa.

3) When only the right valve is pointed to the spa it lets you drain the spa for maintenance.

4) The spa gets chlorine from the one jet feeding water to the spa when in pool mode. That gives you a constant spillover from the spa to the pool and over a day replaces the spa water with chlorinated filtered water from the pool.

5) No easy way to clean the spa. Put the valves in spa mode for a while so your filter is filtering the spa water. Brush the spa to stir up the dirt and let the filter catch it.
Thank you for your input.

I think you meant both valves pointed towards the pump is pool mode in point 1.
I never tried both valves pointed to the spa/pool combination but will try it and see if the stirred up dirt gets sucked into the filter. I will keep this thread updated.
Also, will it be OK to drain the spa for few minutes to replace the drain cover?

Hello all, tet's revisit this query again because I removed the pool cleaner from my skimmer port and things are a bit less confusing now. I've attached the pictures of my equipment and also the two valves in question. All modes of operation below start with both valves pointing to the pump.

1) I normal mode, I think pool mode, the valves are positioned to point at the pump. The water is sucked through the skimmer and returned to the pool. There is one jet out of 5 in spa which is retuning the water mildly. Skimmer suction is normal.
2) When the left valve is pointed towards the spa/pool, the spa jets get activated. The water level rises quickly. Is the water being sucked from the spa and returned to the spa? Is the water going through the filter? Is this spa mode? Skimmer suction is mild.
3) When the right valve is pointed towards the spa/pool, water is drained from the spa and it mildly returns to the spa from one jet and also to the pool. The water level keeps receding. What is the function of this mode? Skimmer has no suction.
4) How do I clean the spa? How does chlorine gets into the spa?
5) My spa drain cover is broken and I would like to replace it. Can I use mode 3 above and drain the spa to install a new drain cover? I have a sprinkler arrangement to fill the spa with fresh water fast.

I will appreciate any insight into this setup. Thanks.
I'll either sweep the dirt into the spa drain or pop the vacuum in there and run it in circles a few times. Usually the sweep method and fish any debris out with a net. Sometimes run the spa and some people stomping around in there will clean it pretty good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.