HELP WITH MY BAQUA CONVERSION PICTURES INCLUDED

OK next question I checked with basic pool chemistry and it says that sometimes non chlorine shock reads as CC. I used that product about 1-2 weeks ago at the advise of the pool store to clear my cloudy water. Any ideas if that is what is messing up my CC reading? According to pool chemistry I can neutralize it anyone know how?

Not sure about that, have to wait for one of the chem guys..lol..but it looks like you are making great progress from your pics. If the sun is eating away too much of your chlorine during the day, you might just want to start adding it at night. I know when I did mine I just kept at at day and night and it probably took more bleach that way, but now the results are totally worth it.

Thanks for all the help. This has been really frustating experience but I am finally starting to get clear water. I am just concerned with the cc testing. I am done when the CC is 0.5 or less but right now I can not get any cc I am using the 10 ml sample but I can not get the water to turn clear with the cc. Are my levels really that high????? I would really like to get in the pool soon...

Re: ok to swim

I am in the end of a baqua conversion. At this point my cya is 0, and my FC target is at 15ppm but it drops daily with all the sun. I want to get in and the water is pretty clear, but I don't want to get sick or burn my skin. Thanks in advance

CYA is very important to the whole swim at shock level thing.

Without CYA in the water your "Shock" level is almost any level of chlorine. I'm not sure I would swim above 4ppm (EPA drinking water) without CYA.

If you feel done - get some CYA in the water and you should be good to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks! I am going to add cya in the am as long as I don't lose more than 1 ppm overnight. I have been cleaning the pool and sticking my hands in it without any problems so I was just looking for re-assurance

oops... I think the problem is I add drops by 2 and the color was changing immediately but I was missing it my adding 2 drops at a time. My cc level is 0.5! My pool is clear but still has a greenish hue. Is this from all the bleach? Will it clear up in time or do I need to add something to the water?

We all use cleaning products with bleach concentrations much higher than 15ppm all the time. There's no need to be scared of it, but kids and eyes, etc.... I'd hold off till the CYA is in.

At 15ppm with 0 CYA there's approx 8ppm active HoCl in the water. With 40ppm CYA that concentration drops to approx .4ppm active Hocl.

So your pool has a concentration around 100X the recommended for swimming based on the standard "swim up to shock" philosophy.

The charts are logrithmic and kinda hard to read but you can see some of the chemistry here -
pool-water-chemistry-t628.html

Sorry if that was more info than you wanted.... :)

Now it's time for the overnight free chlorine test. Get your water up to shock level at dark, test and see what your number is. Test first thing in the morning before the sun comes up. if you lose 1ppm or less overnite, and have .5 or less cc your conversion is complete. You will need to change to clean cartridges and then add cya to get to about 30 until you are completely done shocking. If you still have a green hue continue shocking, it will clear.

afoster0822 said:
I am shocking I guess I am adding chlorine at 15 ppm! I don't think I am getting accurate results on CC. I wish I had another way to test CC.

What test kit do you have? If it isn't a TF-100 or a Taylor K-2006, you are probably right in that you are likely not getting accurate test results. And without accurate test results, you are spinning your wheels.

We don't recommend swimming in dirty water (CC > 0.5, green pools, etc.) as you can get sick by doing so.
We don't recommend swimming in water that is at or above shock level based on an accurate CYA/FC measurements.

Merging your threads.

Please keep all questions concerning your pool, including swimming criteria, under the original Baq Conversion thread until you are completely finished with the conversion.

Folks responding to your original question in this "ok to swim" thread do not have all the facts.

It is important to maintain a history of what is currently happening with a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.