Help with layout please

jumpinjackieflash said:
Shaf77 said:
jumpinjackieflash said:
Can you cut the trees down? I see what you mean, the front part of the lot is smaller than the back half. If you're going large, that is your best option. How often does water flow down that swale?

I guess there is an option of cutting down maybe the first tree.

But what about the swale?

Well if it's a drainage feature that runs through all the yards, you can't block it, can you...How does your plan allow for it when it's full of water? How often does that happen in the summer? Or the winter for that matter.

At our previous house, we had a swale between us and our neighbor that drained both yards very nicely. We went on vacation for 3 weeks - they decided to construct a deck on that side of their house. They blocked the swale, I guess with the concrete they put their deck posts into, and blocked the front where it used to drain out to the street. The first time it rained, our side flooded with all the water from THEIR yard. I was livid. We ended up having to install a drain out to the street when we built the pool.

At least then, their yard flooded and ours didn't.

The swale collects water from the first half of our lot and drains to the right (facing the back) to the next couple of lots that have the exact same swale to a City drain.

The home to our left also has the swale that drains to us and continues on.

Cutting the tree may be an option, but the swale is still there....

Shaf77 said:
The swale collects water from the first half of our lot and drains to the right (facing the back) to the next couple of lots that have the exact same swale to a City drain.

The home to our left also has the swale that drains to us and continues on.

Cutting the tree may be an option, but the swale is still there....

Yeah, I think you may have to go with your original plan, if it works better with the swale. How often does water actually run like a creek down there? See, we have really heavy rains at times, so something like that would be a river in the spring, and would be swampy for a while, so you'd need a bridge of some kind to cross. Maybe you can put a path across it, if you don't get that kind of rain.

I'd think you need to work pretty closely with a landscaper and your pool builder for your particular challenge. As for the trees, I guess the developer left them there, lucky you. Awkward placement, no value for shading the house, not sure if it will affect the pool temp., you will have leaves for sure though.

Sounds harsh but I'd loose the trees, they block sun and produce debris which will be a pain, especially with a free form and no auto cover. For my climate I want nothing but full sun at the pool all day, I have some umbrella sleeves if needed. If I lived in a hotter climate I may appreciate the trees more but in petaluma sun is good.

My pool is about 150 / 200' from my house, I like "going down to the pool" and getting away from the house, kind of like getting away from things. I am adding a fire pit, barbeque, and fridge down there this year.

Its raining a lot here just now and the swale runs like a river from the house adjacent to us, through our lot and then next two and then to a drain. It is always wet and mushy.

Yes, the tress were left by the developers. City of Toronto has strict by-laws for the trees, permits alone would be $350 for each and then the cost of cutting them down.

As for leaves, last fall I raked a lot, but the leaves were only in the area after the swale.. hardly any in the front area. Once the fences are up the leaves "may" be less and we wound have them blowing in from other lots too.

We have been in the house two years now so know that it gets wet in the swale.. Maybe level it off and have a drain underneath??BUT that area would still be unusable for as pool build..

So confused :(

bobby1017 said:
It would be king of cool to make the swale look like a river bed with stones and a bridge of some kind.

If you're leaving the trees I would definitely stay close to the house away from them.

Hmmm.. the river bed idea seems cool too. We had thought of the bridge..

Maybe take out the one tree put the pool there and level off the swale with river rocks and a bridge?

Shaf77 said:

Maybe take out the one tree put the pool there and level off the swale with river rocks and a bridge?

I wouldn't level it out. If you put rocks, be sure to keep the same angle so the water goes THROUGH your yard and doesn't pool there. Swales can be such a blessing, but also a curse if you mess with what works. Drainage is a LOT more expensive and you'd have all the responsibility if you changed something and then everyone else's yards get flooded. Have you had a good landscaping consultation?

jumpinjackieflash said:
Shaf77 said:

I wouldn't level it out. If you put rocks, be sure to keep the same angle so the water goes THROUGH your yard and doesn't pool there. Swales can be such a blessing, but also a curse if you mess with what works. Drainage is a LOT more expensive and you'd have all the responsibility if you changed something and then everyone else's yards get flooded. Have you had a good landscaping consultation?

:( That's what we are afraid of too. If we level it and causing flooding for either us or the neighbours, we may be in a crazy situation if the City makes us correct it and the pool / landscaping is already there. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Updated drawing. Would appreciate any feedback / changes you can suggest...

IMG-20130508-00056.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.