Help with Jandy pool valve positions

Oct 23, 2023
Florida
Hey there!
We had pool installed and we have someone that takes care of it but it’s a new person and I’m pretty sure he switched it and it’s not in the correct position.

This is regular not being vacuumed mode / runs about 8 hours a day

Can anyone tell me if this is how it’s supposed to look ?? 😝😝😝😝
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 20
PCF,

There is nothing wrong with your valve set up..

The Vac is off and the skimmer and main drain are fully on.

Do you want the vac on or off?

Personally, I like to have the skimmer fully open and the main drain only open about 10%

Tell us why you think the valves are not set correctly???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Okay great thank you Jim
I recall it being in this position ( see photo)
I would like it to be in the best position for efficiency. How would I make it that the main is only around 10% as you suggested ?
I have never had a pool before this and the install was a little troublesome 😝
Thank you so much!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 17
PCF,

In your last pic, the only water going into your pump if from the main drain. You have basically shut off your skimmer, which is not something you would normally want to do.

Notice that the valve has a handle at one end and a wide tab at the other end. The wide tab says "Off".. Meaning that you have shut off any water from the skimmer. Also notice that the wide tab on the other valve is pointed at the cleaner pipe.. This means that the pipe to your Vac is shut off.

To completely shut off the main drain, just point the wide tab at the main drain label.. Basically 180 degrees from where is is now. If you want it open at 10%, only turn it about 170 degrees.. It is not all that important how accurate it is.. Just leave the main drain not fully closed off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Think of the handle as a T and you rotate the base of the T. Whatever leg is at the top of that is blocked or partially blocked.

Screenshot_20231024_064524_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231024_064524_Chrome.jpg

Most of us like to pull most of the flow from the skimmer about 90/10. Yours would need to look like this for that.

Screenshot_20231024_065943_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Jimrahbe
The Original Poster (OP) shouldn't feel bad. After decades of dealing with the various ball valves in the plumbing in my house and pool, it got firmly planted that to shut off something, the handle should be crosswise to the pipe. Got my first Pentair valve (a Jandy clone) this year with the new filter, and it is still not "intuitive" as to what position is on and what is off. The "T" analogy helps, but I find myself needing to carefully think it through each time....change is hard! But I'll learn eventually, as I will be replacing all the pool ball valves with Jandy types next year....
Now learning which way to turn a reverse thread bike pedal to get them off of my bike...that is something I may never get right........

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.