Help with CYA...

May 30, 2014
Saint Albans, WV
My pool is eating chlorine. Tested CYA and its 0(at least when I fill up CYA tube I can see dot clearly when it’s full). My CH is 200 and my TA is 70-80, Ph is 7.8 and my chlorine level is low. I just added a bottle of bleach. I used pool calculator and it says to add calcium chloride(is that bleach) for my CH and to add stabilizer for my CYA. Is there a special type of stabilizer or will what they sell at my local poor store be sufficient? Thanks in advance.

Your pool with a vinyl liner doesn't require any more calcium. You can get a 4 lb. jug of CYA at Walmart. CYA is also called stablizer. I'd add 10 ppm of FC via bleach, retest in 30 minutes and see if there is any significant drop first. Your CYA may have converted to ammonia.

Your pool with a vinyl liner doesn't require any more calcium. You can get a 4 lb. jug of CYA at Walmart. CYA is also called stablizer. I'd add 10 ppm of FC via bleach, retest in 30 minutes and see if there is any significant drop first. Your CYA may have converted to ammonia.

Ammonia?? That doesn’t sound good. I’ll add the bleach and then re-test and post results. Should I do this before adding the stabilizer? Thanks for quick response!!

Did you test for FC? What were the results? If there was no FC reading, you quite possibly have ammonia. If you have a pet store nearby, you can confirm it by an ammonia test kit found in the Fish/aquarium section. Up here, they run about $13 but gives you over 100 tests (not that you'll need all of them).

I just went through it on Tuesday. Ammonia requires a fair amount of bleach in a short amount of time. If you go out for the test kit, might as well pick up a few cases of liquid chlorine while you are at it.

Did you test for FC? What were the results? If there was no FC reading, you quite possibly have ammonia. If you have a pet store nearby, you can confirm it by an ammonia test kit found in the Fish/aquarium section. Up here, they run about $13 but gives you over 100 tests (not that you'll need all of them).

I just went through it on Tuesday. Ammonia requires a fair amount of bleach in a short amount of time. If you go out for the test kit, might as well pick up a few cases of liquid chlorine while you are at it.
While you can use an aquarium ammonia test kit, just the fact that there is no CYA and bleach is added and FC goes away within 5 minutes is presumptive evidence of an ammonia conversion.

While you can use an aquarium ammonia test kit, just the fact that there is no CYA and bleach is added and FC goes away within 5 minutes is presumptive evidence of an ammonia conversion.
No doubt. I just like to be definitive. ;)

The ammonia test result also gave me an indication of the amount of bleach that was needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water looks good, clear. Getting ready to put diver dave in to clean bottom.

Thanks for advice, I’ll get some stabilizer and bring CYA up hopefully.
Don't shoot for any higher than 30 for tonight. If possible, bring the FC up a little more and conduct an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight to prove nothing growing. If not, it's off to the races getting ready for swim season!

Don't shoot for any higher than 30 for tonight. If possible, bring the FC up a little more and conduct an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight to prove nothing growing. If not, it's off to the races getting ready for swim season!

Overnight Chlorine test was good. No loss of FC. I did notice some flakes on top of the water this morning, my CH is around 175-200, is that ok?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.