Help with csi value in new pool and other questions

Olivera

Aug 12, 2022
Canada
we just finished our 14k gallon pool done all with mosaic glass tile and epoxy grout in Canada. We have an auto cover and plan to keep the pool above freezing over the winter with occasional use using a propane heater. Currently pool is 24C using primary source of heat from an electric heat pump (should lose its efficiency now that we are starting to see freezing weather).

Chemistry is:
Ph 7.4
Fc 6.5
TA 90
CH 300
Cya 50
Salt 3000
Borates 50

I’ve been playing around with the csi calculator and looks like if I bring up CH to 700 it’ll bring the csi number within range assuming I’ll keep the pool over 10 C. Thoughts on this plan?

We installed in ground cleaning system from Hayward which seems to work well aside from one small area. Should I be brushing the tile once in a while?

Another question; at what temp would the salt chlorinater stop producing chlorine?

Thanks for all the help, this forum is incredible!

What model heater do you have?

What model SWG do you have?

I do not think raising your CH to 700 is advisable. 700 can cause scaling problems in the summer.

Let your pH rise towards 8 to raise your CSI.

Keeping your pool water at 10C with a heater will cause corrosive condensation in the heater. Read Heater Condensation - Further Reading

You need to keep your water at 18-20C to not create corrosive condensation and reduce the life of your heater.

Warmer water and pH towards 8 will give you a CSI that should not damage your grout.

Thanks for both replies!

Hayward TurboCell - Up to 25,000 Gallons - TCELL925

for heaters:

Electric heat pump - thermeau heat pump

For propane - using a dedicated Navien condensing boiler with a glycol loop to an indirect pool titanium heat exchanger from bowman

Sounds like I may have to change to only using the propane for now to avoid issues with the heat pump?

And keep heat to 18 C?

Change or leave ph alone? Finding ph stays at 7.4 for now (been 2 weeks) after adding borates. Should I change any other parameters to fix CSI?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hayward TurboCell - Up to 25,000 Gallons - TCELL925

• The cell output reduces to 20% at 60°F and below if % is above 20%
  • The cell shuts off when water temperature at 50F and below
  • LCD displays COLD when water temperature is below 50F
Electric heat pump - thermeau heat pump

For propane - using a dedicated Navien condensing boiler with a glycol loop to an indirect pool titanium heat exchanger from bowman

Sounds like I may have to change to only using the propane for now to avoid issues with the heat pump?

Corrosive condensation is only a problem with pool gas heaters, not with your heat pump or glycol loop boiler.

And keep heat to 18 C?

You should be okay keeping your water at 10C.

Change or leave ph alone? Finding ph stays at 7.4 for now (been 2 weeks) after adding borates. Should I change any other parameters to fix CSI?

Just don't lower pH if it rises towards 8.

Leave your water chemistry as is.

Thanks! Super valuable info, appreciate the help.

Will turn sense and dispense up to 8 ph

So sounds like keeping at roughly 15c (60f) is the way to go if I want to swg to keep running and not needing to add bleach?

Also have a orp sensor linked to the swg through Omnilogx I haven’t fully set up yet, will the colder temp affect the orp value?

For mosaic tile, is it recommended to do any other upkeep like weekly brushing etc?

Will turn sense and dispense up to 8 ph

We are learning about your setup in drips and drabs. Knowing what you have affects the advice we give. Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

So sounds like keeping at roughly 15c (60f) is the way to go if I want to swg to keep running and not needing to add bleach?

Yes, and that also helps you with your CSI.

Also have a orp sensor linked to the swg through Omnilogx I haven’t fully set up yet, will the colder temp affect the orp value?

I don't know how the cold water will affect the ORP. We don't recommend its use, especially with a SWG.

CYA interferes with ORP sensing. Your CYA 50 will cause problems with the ORP sensor.

For mosaic tile, is it recommended to do any other upkeep like weekly brushing etc?

A tile pool requires the same brushing and cleaning as any other pool type.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.