Help with capacitor replacement

Sep 25, 2016
Venice, FL
We replaced our 11+ yo Heyward pump with a new pump (Hayward W3SP2307X10 MaxFlo XL Pool Pump, 1 HP)

After wiring, then starting it, it ran for a second, then the breaker flipped. Tried it again. Same thing.

Called a pool/pump repairman. He came to my house, examined the pump, including how I wired it. He told me the capacitor was bad (even though the pump was brand new). He advised I either submit warranty claim, ship it back and have my money refunded. OR get a new capacitor and replace it myself.

Well I ordered a capacitor whose specs matched the OEM: 108-130uF, 165Vac.

I was told to attach the same wires to the same place. I did so, (or so I thought), and tried the pump. The capacitor started smoking.

After some research, I realized I failed to attach one of the wires. I had put the two yellow wires on opposite terminals, but forgot to attach a third, grey wire.

Thus my questions:
  1. So now, I'm assuming I need to buy another capacitor, since I made this one smoke. Is this true?
  2. I'm also wondering if I have the voltage jumper on the Hayward set right. It comes factory installed with the jumper set to 240. I assume the power that goes to my pool pump is 220 because the circuit breaker is the type that is two circuit breakers connected with one handle. Also, the external timing box and current breaker (where you remove a thing to cut the current) look pretty beefy and big.
  3. THEN, I noticed that the OEM capacitor says 165Vac. Is that related to the voltage being delivered to is? Is it a problem that volts being sent is 220, but the VAC is 165? If so, should I get a capacitor with a higher VAC, such as 220-250. As in this capacitor: Amazon.com
Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me during this holiday weekend.

If it is 220, you will have two hot wires, typically black and red, and one neutral wire, typically white. You also may have a bare copper ground wire. How is it wired?

You can test both of those capacitors to see if they are still good.

Here is the capacitor that came installed in the pump, and the repairman said was bad

IMG_1189.jpeg

This is the new one I attached (but incorrectly) and spit out smoke when I turned it on. There was some condensation seeping out as well.

IMG_1187.jpeg

Here is the capacitor that came installed in the pump, and the repairman said was bad

View attachment 509996

This is the new one I attached (but incorrectly) and spit out smoke when I turned it on. There was some condensation seeping out as well.

View attachment 509997
Right replacement. Get a new one and be sure to wire it correctly. That was the oil that is in a capacitor that came out when it overheated. If it doesn't work, try the warranty route, but be aware that they may deny it since you have attempted a repair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.