HELP! Will a dark pebble make my pool like bath water?

Labrooks999

Bronze Supporter
Aug 16, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I was 99% certain I had finalized my water color choice — Pebbletec Ocean Blue. I think I have reviewed every pic of it I can find via this site, Instagram, Houzz, YouTube, etc. If anybody has any other places where I can second guess my choice that would be great. ;)

Now its the 11th hour and I read something that hadn’t occurred to me which is that the darker color will make my pool hotter. My pool is only going to be 6ft deep and I live in Charlotte, NC and have a FULL FULL SUN backyard and there is no shade in the pool area whatsoever. I would much rather have a pool that runs cooler than one that warms faster in the early season.

I am panicked that now I should choose a medium blue color (thinking French Grey) because it is really important for us for the water to feel refreshing on the hottest days. My husband even wanted the PB to install something that could cool the water to be more like a plunge pool. I do not think we would be happy with the lighter plaster colors so medium is as light as I would consider so if it is unlikely to be a meaningful delta then I’ll likely stay with my current choice.BA0192C7-0E5F-4351-BED4-BC402DDB47EF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think it makes a huge difference.

I have a dark blue-green-ish pebble tec finish (don’t know exact color, pool was here when we bought the house.)

My next-door neighbor has a smaller pool with white plaster finish - based on my unscientific observations they feel around the same temp (which this time of year in south Florida is a not so refreshing low 90s).

It might make a couple degrees difference late afternoon but will likely reset overnight with your air temps.

I found an interesting post on this that has some actual math - consensus seems to be that it makes a difference but not a huge amount Join Home & Garden Discussions on Houzz

Sorry to hijack the thread, but couldn’t figure out how to send a PM.

Labrooks999- I’m in the Charlotte area and receiving bids for pools now. Who did you go with? And have you been happy so far?

We went with ocean blue and got the sun almost all day until about 4:30pm. The hottest our pool got was back during the June heatwave and I think it was 91 or 92 for a day or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.