Help - Why did my Pentair Intelliflo XF variable speed Pump got loud this week.

Nov 24, 2014
vail, az
Once whisper quiet is now much louder. Thoughts? I took it apart and didn’t find anything stuck in impeller. Pressure is good in pool and otherwise working as normal. Just louder. Trying to figure out if motor or possible impeller or seal issues.

but I thought maybe the pros here had some thoughts.
Sorry you fell through the cracks. Let's call you @ajw22 @Jimrahbe @JamesW and @1poolman1, all Pentair/pump whisperers.

Tag anybody you think would know anytime. Most consider it an honor to be called. If you guess wrong, that person probably knows who to call and can still help. :)

Once whisper quiet is now much louder. Thoughts? I took it apart and didn’t find anything stuck in impeller. Pressure is good in pool and otherwise working as normal. Just louder. Trying to figure out if motor or possible impeller or seal issues.

If there is nothing stuck in the fan, that is bearings. Leaking seal would cause that. The sound didn't just start, it began a while back and wasn't noticed or was ignored. Happens all the time to pools. Many times, if the pump runs higher speeds at night when one is sleeping, the sound isn't heard.

The pump got louder seemingly over a 4 day trip we were gone. The pump is close to our house and we noticed the sound change immediately when we got back. I didn’t think to check the fan in the back. If I remove the motor from the impeller and run it motor only that should tell me right? Thanks for the help

I replaced the pump motor and all seals today. When I took things apart I ran the motor for a moment without impeller and it was still the same noise. I felt confident it was the motor at that point. When I took the old motor off the plate it was obvious water had been getting in there a bit and so the bearings must have been slowly going. So I went ahead and replaced everything and reinstalled. Whisper quiet once again!

Attachments

• IMG_2183.jpeg
    IMG_2183.jpeg
    501 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2185.jpeg
    IMG_2185.jpeg
    529.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support