Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi All - I read and re-read this helpful article on my hot tub chemicals. Once I hit target CYA of 20-30ppm it says to switch from Dichlor to plain old bleach. It's not clear how much bleach I should be adding to maintain my FC.

I checked Pool Math and default for bleach shows 'Bleach Percentage' as 6 ... is this the standard for most bleach products (e.g., plain old Clorox Bleach)? If so, looks like 1oz of bleach will raise FC by ~1.

Is my understanding correct? Going to try to open my hot tub this weekend. Thank you!

Hi All - I read and re-read this helpful article on my hot tub chemicals. Once I hit target CYA of 20-30ppm it says to switch from Dichlor to plain old bleach. It's not clear how much bleach I should be adding to maintain my FC.

I checked Pool Math and default for bleach shows 'Bleach Percentage' as 6 ... is this the standard for most bleach products (e.g., plain old Clorox Bleach)? If so, looks like 1oz of bleach will raise FC by ~1.

Is my understanding correct? Going to try to open my hot tub this weekend. Thank you!

Yes, most bleach is around 6% +/-. It does vary, and sometimes the cheaper stuff is slightly weaker. Also, bleach degrades over time (and with heat). So really it is a best guess, but 6% is good to go with.

It should say on the beach bottle what the strength is (at least when it left the factory).

AS was said, you want to use plain old bleach, with no additives. So no scented bleach (has scents in it), no splash less (has thickeners). And, for the most part - no Chlorox bleach at all. Most, if not all of it, now has Chloromax Technology in it. Chloromax is an additive that "keeps whites whiter longer". I am not sure what it is, but I suspect it is a blueing agent.

You best bet is either pool store liquid chlorine (which is stronger than 8% bleach) or a house brand bleach like WalMart or HDX (Home depot) - but not cleaner bleach, that has soap in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.