Help. Vgreen century 165, no pressure, motor runs by cycling-pump or suction line problem?

mvonh

Aug 12, 2013
Installed a
V-Green 1.65 HP Round Flange 56J Variable Speed Motor - ECM16CU
Item# ECM16CU

ran for 2 seasons ago, and worked well. Last fall when trying to close the pool I lost pressure. The pump runs, but the basket seems to run out of water, and the pump slows, water fills and the pump speeds up-- like it's losing prime? When it finishes high-speed start-up, it runs a bit more constant, but with little pressure. It is the motor, a leak, clogged line (I've tried to blow out the suction, line and ran the pump straight to waste). I did open the pump to check for debris, seemed fine, The impler looked ok.

Any ideas

Here's a video showing what it's doing

thanks

Last edited:
Yes, I think my suction line is clogged, I have tried drain king, from the pump, and blocking at the skimmer with a tennis ball to build pressure, but still blocked. I tried a drain snake from skimmer, and it went the length of the pool, so I think its blocked at the enbow near the pump, will try a snake from that side, or I have to pay someone to come and blow out with co2? Any other tips to remove a partially block suction line?

Reactions: Texas Splash
Any other tips to remove a partially block suction line?
@1poolman1 might. Sounds like you've tried the basics. Sometimes manipulating the shut off valve before the pump, shutting it off & on back & forth fairly quickly helps to shake things up a bit in the plumbing and dislodge a foreign object.

@1poolman1 might. Sounds like you've tried the basics. Sometimes manipulating the shut off valve before the pump, shutting it off & on back & forth fairly quickly helps to shake things up a bit in the plumbing and dislodge a foreign object.
Might be time for more pressure to try to clear a clog. I have also seen a leaking suction line act like that pump.

Reactions: Texas Splash