Help us replace Hayward skimmer in concrete

May 23, 2010
Marion, Iowa
I'm always the one who has to do the research for my husband. Advice really appreciated. Please don't suggest we call a pool company. In Iowa.. they come out, look at the pool, and shake their head and say, "Wow, I've never seen anything like this pool before." We hired the concrete decking to be removed. Contractor used a huge jack hammer and got close to the skimmer. He even sawed off part of the pool wall, thinking it was part of a slab. He didn't realize the skimmer could have parts replaced. Before we knew it, he had demolished both skimmers. Our existing skimmer is Hayward SP-1075. It is discontinued. After an hour on hold with Hayward, the tech rep told us he thinks the SP-1082 will fit. We have the concrete on hold now because my husband has to completely dig the rest of the old skimmers out, as they are embedded in concrete. Photos are attached the only way I know how. Questions: 1. Has anyone else been in this predicament and if so, do you believe the newer model will fit, even with the cut out that's already in the side of the pool? 2. When we get the new skimmers, is there somewhere online where we can look to know how it should sit near the exterior of the pool? 3. Should it be embedded in concrete the way it is now or should it be embedded in sand/dirt?

To make matters worse, when the contractor was busting concrete, he hit a an electrical line to the pool lighting and a water pipe to the pool plumbing. We had two different estimates to have this pool sandblasted and replastered and both estimates came in at about $50k. We've decided to hire it painted, but even that is expensive.

Photos

Skimmers-I would call or email Swimming Pool Supplies - Pool Parts - INYOPools.com as they are my go to for things like this. Have your measurements all done and ready to answer their questions so they can make sure to find just the right skimmer for you.

I suggest you look through some of the many build threads in the under construction. Most of them have MANY pics showing how their skimmers are done when new. That should give you some good ideas how to do yours.

Painting a pool-I think you should do some searching no here to see how it is not the best plan. So far I have seen one painted pool where the paint lasted more than 2 yrs but most do not. The paint starts flaking and looking bad very fast :( THEN you have even more work to get it off. It is up to you but I wanted you to be aware of the problems.

:hug:

Kim:kim:

Thank you, I think I figured out how to post an image, but it's really big. We have so many problems to solve today and don't even know where to begin.

- - - Updated - - -

It will cost $5,000 to paint and we are considering a vinyl liner. We recently had a quote for the liner at $8,500 but they weren't sure how fit the stairs and work around the tile, which is glued to our coping.

inyopool tech support said that the Hayward SP1075 skimmer can be replaced, but we must first dig it out to know the size of fittings beneath. He said if we are considering a vinyl liner, then we would need to know this before replacing the skimmers. To repaint will be $5,500. We have repainted 2 times in the the last twelve years, but it's a labor-intensive project that we have done on our own with little knowledge. The vinyl liner installed will be $8,500 but we are unsure how they will manage with the stairs, skimmer tile, and spa. We don't own a pool cover, so I wonder if we choose vinyl would we need to purchase a cover as well?

The liner for $8,500 would be custom-fitted and installed. However, after contacting a concrete pool builder, and a pool supply store, both indicated that converting a concrete pool to a vinyl lined pool is asking for trouble with leakage.

Herky - I would guess you're from Waterloo. I live in Marion but will be in CF this week for Sturgis. I will definitely contact Weston... and would love to see your pool if I can unless I can find photos of your pool on this site. We opted for paint only because it's our very best guess that maybe the pool builder never even plastered when it was built.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.