Help!! Spa just started draining and pool is overflowing - warranty ends this weekend

Awp14

Silver Supporter
Nov 27, 2018
Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Help!!
We had our pool put in a year ago this weekend. It is still under warranty. The pump runs from 8-5 and around 2 today I heard it get kind of loud. Went outside and the spa is completely empty!! The pool is super full and overflowing through the overflow pipe in the back of the yard. I’ve called the company who put it in and left a message, but is there anything I can do or should know in the meantime??

Thanks so much to anyone with any info!

Attachments

• 5ECF2247-A180-4235-A32C-766B29B7A6F5.jpeg
    5ECF2247-A180-4235-A32C-766B29B7A6F5.jpeg
    760.2 KB · Views: 16
Check your valve positions. Turn on the Spa return, and close the spa drain.

If this is normally controlled by your automation do you have a mode where the spa overflows into the pool like a waterfall. Turn on that mode.

Reactions: Awp14
Turn off the pump.

Then post pics of your valves and pool equipment.

Pictures. Thank y’all so much

Attachments

• B5F64EA4-4EE6-423E-9398-F46BB51827C6.jpeg
    B5F64EA4-4EE6-423E-9398-F46BB51827C6.jpeg
    509.3 KB · Views: 25
  • F2E28125-6CEE-482E-B190-C7DBADBF91EF.jpeg
    F2E28125-6CEE-482E-B190-C7DBADBF91EF.jpeg
    734 KB · Views: 23
Check your valve positions. Turn on the Spa return, and close the spa drain.

If this is normally controlled by your automation do you have a mode where the spa overflows into the pool like a waterfall. Turn on that mode.
That mode is always on where there is a waterfall into the pool. And it looks to still be in that position. ?

The valve in front of your pump is positioned to suction from your spa while your return valve is positioned to return to your pool.

You need to turn the valve in front of your pump 180 degrees. It has a motorized actuator. The actuator has a toggle switch on the back or bottom. The switch has 3 positions. Position 1 - OFF - Position 2. Move the toggle to the opposite position and see if the valve rotate.

If the valve does not rotate then youc an follow the directions below to turn it manually.

Is your automation panel in POOL mode? What automation do you have? EasyTouch?

Manual Override, Power On (Jandy and should work for others)
  1. Move the toggle switch located on the bottom of the actuator to the opposite position (ON 1 switch to ON 2 or vice versa). This will rotate the motor to the opposite position.
  2. Return the toggle switch to the original position after use.
Manual Override, Power Off (Jandy and should work for others)
  1. Move toggle switch located on the bottom of actuator to the OFF (center) position.[12]
  2. Unscrew (counterclockwise) the locking knob above the handle four (4) full turns.
  3. Push down on the locking knob (not the handle). This will disengage the gear train and allow the handle, and thus the valve diverter, to be moved to any position.
  4. To return the actuator to automatic position, pull up on the handle while turning it clockwise or counterclockwise until you feel the shaft slide up into the gear train. Turn the locking knob down (clockwise) until snug.
  5. Put toggle switch back to the original position.

The valve in front of your pump is positioned to suction from your spa while your return valve is positioned to return to your pool.

You need to turn the valve in front of your pump 180 degrees. It has a motorized actuator. The actuator has a toggle switch on the back or bottom. The switch has 3 positions. Position 1 - OFF - Position 2. Move the toggle to the opposite position and see if the valve rotate.

If the valve does not rotate then youc an follow the directions below to turn it manually.

Is your automation panel in POOL mode? What automation do you have? EasyTouch?

Manual Override, Power On (Jandy and should work for others)
  1. Move the toggle switch located on the bottom of the actuator to the opposite position (ON 1 switch to ON 2 or vice versa). This will rotate the motor to the opposite position.
  2. Return the toggle switch to the original position after use.
Manual Override, Power Off (Jandy and should work for others)
  1. Move toggle switch located on the bottom of actuator to the OFF (center) position.[12]
  2. Unscrew (counterclockwise) the locking knob above the handle four (4) full turns.
  3. Push down on the locking knob (not the handle). This will disengage the gear train and allow the handle, and thus the valve diverter, to be moved to any position.
  4. To return the actuator to automatic position, pull up on the handle while turning it clockwise or counterclockwise until you feel the shaft slide up into the gear train. Turn the locking knob down (clockwise) until snug.
  5. Put toggle switch back to the original position.
Ok so I did exactly what you said and the spa is not draining anymore. I am adding more water in hopes that this is the only issue here, thank you SO much. I looked at the pictures I took when the pool was installed and the valve was in the correct position then. Is there anything that causes that valve to turn on it’s own? Some kind of malfunction or anything? We absolutely have not touched the equipment in months or more so I am super confused how this would’ve happened.

Ok so I did exactly what you said and the spa is not draining anymore. I am adding more water in hopes that this is the only issue here, thank you SO much. I looked at the pictures I took when the pool was installed and the valve was in the correct position then. Is there anything that causes that valve to turn on it’s own? Some kind of malfunction or anything? We absolutely have not touched the equipment in months or more so I am super confused how this would’ve happened.

I have seem maintenance workers around the equipment accidently flip the toggle switch and move the valve. Or I suspect even some critter hitting the switch.

Exercise the valves by changing from POOL mode to SPA mode and back to POOL mode and as you do observe that both valves turn at the same time.

The actuators do fail and if you have one that if failing intermittently we can talk about possible repairs or a replacement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Exercise the valves by changing from POOL mode to SPA mode and back to POOL mode and as you do observe that both valves turn at the same time.

The actuators do fail and if you have one that if failing intermittently we can talk about possible repairs or a replacement.

Ok great, I will look into this! Thank you so very much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.