Mar 10, 2020
San Angelo, TX
It's been a while since I've been on here. Pool is 20x40x10ft.
Short version, muriatic acid won't remove limescale, calcium deposits from pool walls. I don't know what else to try.

Back story, the house we bought had been sitting for 2 years when we bought it in sep of '19. The pool was a swap. I was able to get it clean and usable by June of '20. There was always a problem with algae buildup in the deep end, it just would not come completely clean. Fast fwd to March of '22. I bought a new pump, so I decided it was best to start all over and drain the pool, acid wash it, paint it. Problem is the calcium buildup is so thick on the walls that muriatic acid won't take it off. It just runs down the wall. Where it has time to sit on the floor, it comes off great. I've tried vinegar, industrial descaler, chlorine. I tried renting a 4k psi pressure washer, nothing. I tried a steel bristle angle grinder, nothing. The only thing I going found to work moderately, is (please don't judge me), burning it off with a pear burner and propane tank, but it won't take it all off. Pictures are of the walls and floor where it has run down and dissolved the calcium buildup.

Attachments

• 20220427_201249.jpg
    20220427_201249.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220427_201234.jpg
    20220427_201234.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220427_201258.jpg
    20220427_201258.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 39
That is a rough scenario - no pun intended. :) You might have to call-in the experts for some bead blasting or something In addition, you appear to have some nodules formed. Not my area of expertise, so let's see what others have to say, but even if you found a way to cut-through that stuff, I suspect a replaster job may be required. I've been to San Angelo several times for my trips to Goodfellow. Do you even have very many pool contractors in that area to call upon?

That is a rough scenario - no pun intended. :) You might have to call-in the experts for some bead blasting or something In addition, you appear to have some nodules formed. Not my area of expertise, so let's see what others have to say, but even if you found a way to cut-through that stuff, I suspect a replaster job may be required. I've been to San Angelo several times for my trips to Goodfellow. Do you even have very many pool contractors in that area to call upon?
Not that I know of. I've contacted a local sand blasting company to give a quote, but I haven't heard back yet. I think a replaster is going to have to happen too. Underneath the worst spots in the deep end corners, I've found a couple of golf ball sized indentions.

• Wow
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.